Learned something new

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Old Yellow ran reasonably well since I've had it, but even though I had replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, stater, dist. cap, pcv, etc, it had a weird stumble/falter when cruising along at speed, and just feathering the gas - say cruising at 45-55 mph. Couldn't really tell what it was, thought it might be a worn universal, but they were good when checked out. Thought maybe the two barrel carb ("Super Six") might be it, but had it rebuilt (I don't do carbs) and it still did it. Humm. I thought it might be the fuel pump slowly crapping out, but the pressure was good. So, I let a neighbor take a look at OY. He is an 84 year old retired mechanic, and die hard Buick guy. He found the problem in no time and now OY runs better than it has the entire time that I have owned it. Turns out it was the ballast resistor on the firewall!! I would never have thought of that. I thought that those little white ceramic boxes either worked, or they didn't. Well apparently, they can also "sort of work". The difference was really noticeable! OY now just purrs along with no hesitation or stumble, and with the new Hurst shifter, it is FUN driving it! Ok, now I'm on a roll! Installing the "new" plaid Special Edition interior is next on the list!!

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I can believe it... My car is running better after my alternator swap. I'm getting a consistent 14.2 volts while running, where the old one was putting out just a sliver over 12. In particular, at idle, my voltage was way low. I'm clearly producing a stronger spark than before.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I can believe it... My car is running better after my alternator swap. I'm getting a consistent 14.2 volts while running, where the old one was putting out just a sliver over 12. In particular, at idle, my voltage was way low. I'm clearly producing a stronger spark than before.
The older man who figured it out very quickly after driving it, said he thought it had to do with ignition. He said that since the plugs, wires, cap, stator, etc. had already been replaced, "there were only so many other things it could be." I really envy his expertise in mechanics. He worked for years at a local Buick dealership as a mechanic, then opened his own shop for many years, then finally retired from that. But just couldn't stop working on cars, so he built a really nice shop next to his house and now works mainly just on older cars that he thinks are interesting. It's getting more and more rare to find older mechanics who really KNOW the older cars. Believe it or not, I was talking with a younger "mechanic" at Pep Boys when I was having a set of tires put on my truck, and he had never even heard of a "Volare"! o_O

Justwondering

Reaction score
I was at O'reillys buying some tail light bulbs to get me past this year's inspection.
Asked the young guy at the counter what type of oil I put in the a/c compressor when I'm converting from r12 to r134a.
He looked at me without hesitation and said ' Ma'am you don't put oil in the air conditioner, you put in coolant'
If I was a foot taller, I'd shake my head and grumble like Lurch from the Addams Family.
Lurch - YouTube
upload_2016-7-15_6-53-58.jpeg▶ 0:03

Sep 11, 2008 - Uploaded by bonzoktube
The New Addams Family - Lurch's Grand Romance 1-2 - Duration: 8:11. ... Addams Family Dance Schtick ...

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
..............Uuuhhhhhhhhh, I think we can get some struts from the warehouse. LOL
(Rock Auto TV ads).

I can understand someone born at the end of the last century not knowing about carbs, ballast resistors, what ignition points are or not having heard of a Volare. Think back, when you were 18, did you know much about the cars built 30, 40, 50 years before you were born?
You know what it is? We're getting old! :eek:

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500 -- shame on you. Old? I'm not getting old. The counter help is getting younger.

As I stood looking in the mirror at 4 am this morning wondering where all that gray hair is coming from. Yes I was up at 4 am... the dogs decided it was time to wake the house up. Why? Cause they are nuts. Cause they got scared by the outdoor cat quietly sitting on the veranda. Just an insane week so far.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
At work, everyone is retiring and new guys hired.
Lot's of 18-20 yr olds in the bunch.
So when I started, there where no 30 yr old cars in the parking lot.
I show up with a 86 F/A daily.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
When I need basic counter parts, I never ask for Fifth Ave, Lebaron or Caravelle.
Always just say 85 Diplomat.
Saves a lot of problems and getting FWD parts instead of the proper stuff.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Back when, at the wreckers all Mopars had new ballast resistors in the glove box and I would scoop them.
I think most people with a Mopar had a ballast in the glove box, even if they knew nothing about cars. Especially the dual ballast. Not like they ever failed or anything, lol. A spare should have been factory equipment:p

Justwondering, no grey hair yet, at least none that's visible when I'm dressed........................

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500 - I figure the grey just makes my ponytail have that little sparkle that the rest of the ladies don't have. Besides, I've earned every one of them.

Told my husband, when we get the Chrysler ready and the money save for a new paint job... then I'd get one too. lol

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Got plenty of the gray stuff.

As for the 12 year olds at the parts counter, I still have a slow burn going after taking Darth Car to Advance Auto Parts yesterday for a new battery. I dropped coin for the biggest, most expensive battery that they had in the store, the Optima Yellow Top, Then the 12 year old behind the counter gets his tools to install the thing. He takes 30 minutes to get the battery out of Darth Car; the Thermoguard really confused him. I could see his patience was wearing thin. Then he tossed in the Optima. I look at it, and the tag on the top is labeled 6/14. The darn thing has one foot in the grave, since it has been on the shelf for two years. I tell him I am not pleased, and we check the rest of his stock, and they all have the same date. :( So he puts the thing in, and wrestles the Thermoguard back in place. Then he reattaches the factory positive cable, after I had to tell him positive went on first. Now it is time for the negative cable. I was not worried about this cable it is only a year, and a half old. It is a fully molded connector, resembling a stock cable. He put the cable on, and goes to tighten the connector, to tight, and snap, the entire cable connector disintegrates. So he goes back into the store, and gets one of those stupid screw clamp cable ends, and puts it onto my negative cables. Then he tells me I owe him an additional 4 bucks.

I do not know which part of the story frosts my cookies more at this point. I think the delight of owning a new 2 year old battery takes the cake.

Justwondering

Reaction score
send a letter to the company consumer complaint group you might get a decent coupon out of it... to use when that 2 year old battery craps out.

Sorry dude, but that is totally funny. I would swear you are living my life up there in Ohio.

Justwondering

Reaction score
But wait, I have a great idea.
Why don't i finish the rehab on your old antenna by cracking open the motor body and inserting the guts from a 'billy bass'. Then you get the same songs over and over.

It will be awesome.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Yes we have that same obnoxious singing fish on our porch. We have not changed his battery in years, by design.;)

Back