Learned something new

Justwondering

Reaction score
My mother-in-law had a clock given to her by one of the kids or grandkids.
She lived in a small house, and when we visited we slept on an air mattress in the living room - under the clock.
It was bird calls - every hour on the hour. Blue bird, red bird, robin, mocking bird, hawk, etc etc.
After the 3rd bird call about midnight, I got up and put one of the batteries in backwards so it would quit chirping.
Everyday, she would notice the clock time was wrong and her son would fix it and complain that the battery was in wrong.
Every night after all were in bed, I would get up and put the battery in backwards.

I hated that damn clock.

After she died, the oldest brother got the clock.
Same year, for Christmas, he mailed the gift-wrapped clock to me. Said he knew how much I loved it. Made me laugh.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
So when I started, there where no 30 yr old cars in the parking lot.
I show up with a 86 F/A daily.
That is the case at my work. I drive a 30 or 40 year old car and there might be only one other car there over 10 years old.

When I need basic counter parts, I never ask for Fifth Ave, Lebaron or Caravelle.
Always just say 85 Diplomat.
I have a solution for this.
About five years ago, I started to look up my own parts list using the company’s web site ( Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories RockAuto or which ever one you use).
What I do is look up part numbers and I will automatically know if they have it in stock. If my favorite doesn’t have, I will try the next. Big ticket items I can price shop. I generally use Rockauto if I can wait a few days for parts. Sometimes you can’t wait.

I have found that having a card with my part numbers in hand, I can get out of store many times faster, and know I already have the correct parts.

A couple of times, I have found the online price to be cheaper. Just show them your phone and they will mark price down pretty quick.

BudW

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me up here. One of the main parts stores which is Canadian Tire actually changes the original part # to their own number in their system so even if I bring a part number to them it's basically useless.

Brilliant

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Pep Boys doesn’t allow a way to look up part numbers online, either.

Back