List of recalls, and how to check for them?

Heavy Armor

Reaction score
Is there a comprehensive list floating around anywhere of all the different recalls issued for the Aspen/Volare, one that explains what the "fix" is? I'm wanting to work my way through my '76 and see what hasn't been addressed yet. I tried a search and didn't find anything quite along these lines.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
That google list is very inaccurate. Funny they missed the biggest issue of all, the rusting front fenders.

Things you can check today to make a real world difference is if it has not had the front fenders replaced you might check and see if they still have the felt like upside down L shape water shields right behind the headlight to be seen by looking in the fender well. If it still has them then confirm they are the newer ones called for in the TSB that provide better water protection.

Make sure you have the plastic shields that run vertical on the side of the cowl area that keeps water from the door hinge area.

If you have had the recall or newer fenders and the most easy way to tell is to look at the front fender inner lip for several tabs with holes that accept the 78 up inner fender. If you have the holes and not the liners, find the wheel well liners.

You can also locate the felt/rubber type water shields that went behind the front bumper framework.

Google did get the brake line part right that as most know the 76-77 front brake line runs forward and down under the battery tray to the core support ect..... they did make a plastic line cover to keep acid off the lines. But ive NEVER seen that be an issue.

You can currently find that plastic shield here.

NOS Mopar 1976-78 Dodge Aspen Diplomat Volare Chrysler Lebaron Brake Tube Shield | eBay

The listing title is a bit wrong though as they re routed that line in 78. But it does apply to 76-77 f-s

If you still have the org. front fenders Chrysler via a TSB shows spots to go back in an hit with sealer as they should have which gives better protection.

If you drive your car and have a body squeak on the passenger side cowl area there is a layered fix also via a TSB that some requires a simple screwdriver and hammer (yes via the tsb) to a pesky squeak that goes as far as drilling through it all and then puddle welding it all together as one.

There are more but the most important ones are the rust preventative measures you can do or check.

If you need scans of any of it just pm me although I dont check super often.

You can buy the pocket version of the whole TSB book off ebay for $10 or so that outlines all I posted and more. If nothing else good reading and some hacked up pics of there fixes.

Almost forgot, the upper support brackets. If you do not have these... you might consider them. They work.

This was the first listing I found but ive seen them recently for half this price shipped.

NOS MOPAR, ASPEN/VOLARE, UPPER CONTROL ARM SUPPORT BRACKETS | eBay

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Only problem with checking Google or NHTSA is, they only show the safety recalls. Things like fender rust aren't safety related so they don't show up.

Technically,,,,,,safety recalls never expire, either by time or miles. Obviously you wouldn't go to the dealer if one hadn't been done though.

Back