long cranking times after sitting 2 weeks or more

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
Is this because of the gas evaporating out of the carburetor? OR do I have an issue with the carb float, or a check valve in the fuel pump that is allowing fuel to drain back to the tank?

Any suggestions and or remedies? One thing I enjoy most about non FI engines is that they start at the turn of the key... and I want that to be true even if the car sits a month or two...

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
More then likely gas evaporating but pretty common with carbureted cars. But carbs also don't last forever and need to be cleaned or rebuilt from time to time.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...plus there is a real difference is fuel formulation between summer and winter blends...sooo, that's probably coming into play as well.

I will tell you this: my summer-only ride will last about 3/4-1 week before I need to crank and crank...to the point where taking off the air filter and watching the fuel pump squirt nothing is proof enough!!!

So yeah...stuff evaporates with the volatile gas mix.

BTW: my carb (Carter TQ) does have the proper carb bowl venting configuration, which while great at preventing the heat-soak situation, is most likely a big contributor to the "oh shit, nothing's left in the fuel bowl nwo" problem!

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
So I need a electronic fuel pump priming system..? Or remove the air filter each time.. which is my preference over long cranking times, but takes some of the fun out of jumping in the car after a long while...

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Are you running a mechanical pump or an electric pump?

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
Mechanical fuel pump... and just replaced it last week, b/c I thought it was weeping fuel into the crankcase... I don't at this moment know if that has effected or improved the long crank times in some positive way.

Ele115

Reaction score
I hope you got a spare pump if that's from the parts stores

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I need a electronic fuel pump priming system..? Or remove the air filter each time.. which is my preference over long cranking times, but takes some of the fun out of jumping in the car after a long while...
Yes.

Ele115

Reaction score
On old cars that have sat for weeks, I pull the lid off the air cleaner and fill the float bowls via the vents, put a squirt down the schnazz and it fires right up.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I hope you got a spare pump if that's from the parts stores
It's a reman AC Delco that fits the 68-73 LA engines. I had a rock auto on on the car but suspect it was weeping fuel into the crankcase.
Ah, how about a fuel accumulator with the same capacity as the fuel bowl? (like the pre oiler systems or oil accumulator systems I don't really know what they are called. ) If I was a gifted fabricator I would do that.. and then copy it for all my carbureted rigs..

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
On old cars that have sat for weeks, I pull the lid off the air cleaner and fill the float bowls via the vents, put a squirt down the schnazz and it fires right up.
Yes, well I don't fill the float bowls, but I squirt some gas down the throat and off it goes..

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, how about a fuel accumulator with the same capacity as the fuel bowl? (like the pre oiler systems or oil accumulator systems I don't really know what they are called. ) If I was a gifted fabricator I would do that.. and then copy it for all my carbureted rigs..
As long as it's above the carb bowl so it can gravity feed. Otherwise you will need a pump. ;)

LSM360

Reaction score
Yep they are correct. Today's fuels and carbs. Some carbs have bigger bowls than others. I'm using a Street Demon now and it lasts a lot longer than the traditional thermoquad. Starter fluid or gas down the carb after sitting more than two weeks or so for me.

Ele115

Reaction score
Quadrajets have tiny bowls and they used them after 84. I'm sure a few people still have them. The fuel formulation is the big thing. It evaporates quickly. Boils easier too. It is engineered to be in a closed system, fuel injection. Vent it to the atmosphere, and it is a big difference.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
This thing has a Holley 600 or 650 installed by the PO. I guess it is something everyone deals with... so I don't have to go trying to fix what is not broken.... Just drive the car more often dude.. simple solution..

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
This thing has a Holley 600 or 650 installed by the PO. I guess it is something everyone deals with... so I don't have to go trying to fix what is not broken.... Just drive the car more often dude.. simple solution..
On my carbureted cars, I hit the gas twice and crank for about 3 seconds. repeat as necessary, usually 3 times.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I'm starting to daydream about an electric fuel pump up in the engine bay. It's sole purpose is to prime the carb after the car has been sitting. Then I put a momentary switch in to energize it for 5 seconds or so, and the car starts like it should...

question is, do I put the momentary pump in between the tank and the mechanical pump or between the mechanical pump and the carb?

LSM360

Reaction score
  • A factory-issued low-pressure electric fuel pump in the fuel tank worked with the mechanical pump to eliminate vapor lock. (My '89 was so equipped). I found the following information super interesting, but then I'M an M body AHB fanatic.

Some say that the 360 V8 was a police car exclusive in 1982 and 1983, but it doesn’t appear on the police car sales materials; this was likely a mistake based on the 318 using the 360’s head design. Some likely could not believe that a 318-powered car could get up to 122 mph—as it did in the 1986 Dodge Diplomat, in Michigan State Police testing. (That was just 3 mph shy of the Plymouth Fury’s numbers in 1980, with the 360 four-barrel, but under tougher emissions standards.

• The two-barrel 318 V8 had molybdenum-filled top rings; a dual-roller timing chain; and high-temperature valve seals and shields
  • The four-barrel 318 V8 had these upgrades, plus an oil windage tray; harder than usual cast nodular iron crank; forged rods; heavy-duty valve springs and rocker arms; hardness-treated cam; and more durable intake and exhaust valves. It’s possible some of these upgrades were also used on the two-barrel 318, but they weren’t listed in the police brochures.
Prototypical police cars: Dodge Diplomat and Plymouth Gran Fury

Back