Looking for car cover recommendations

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
What brands or types of car covers do you all recommend? Without any real weatherstripping left on the car, I'm looking for a way to keep water out and not make the car moldy.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I've been looking around online and so far a lot of the companies look really scammy

Aspen500

Reaction score
The type depends on use. Indoors, outdoors, short or long term, type of climate, etc.

Cover Craft seems to be good. I had bought a cover for my Aspen from Griot's Garage that is excellent. Basically bought to cover the car while I was building it, haven't used it since though.

My Mustang came with a Cover Craft outdoor cover in the trunk. The quality seems very good. Have never used it to know for sure however.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The type depends on use. Indoors, outdoors, short or long term, type of climate, etc.
Outdoors, in the rain and snow. I have to rotate the cars and motorcycles in and out of cover as I work on them/the weather forecast and it's painful to leave the Diplomat in the rain with no real weatherstripping. I'd like to cover it so I don't have it hogging space I need to work.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
With old worn paint I use the cheapest covers I can get and replace them when they wear out. Good covers that don't damage paint as much cost a lot.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
With old worn paint I use the cheapest covers I can get and replace them when they wear out. Good covers that don't damage paint as much cost a lot.
I would definitely use the word "paint" loosely when describing what is on the car

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Then go cheap :) one of mine lives under those covers. keeps the snow off and won't make the psint worse. It's covers over shiny good paint that can start showing wear and scratches.

OLDIRON

Reaction score
I gave up on the covers long ago.
Now I get about 4 years out of the cheapest $200 HF portable garages.
I use ratchet straps to the wheels as anchors. Two crossed at each wheel.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I gave up on the covers long ago.
Now I get about 4 years out of the cheapest $200 HF portable garages.
I use ratchet straps to the wheels as anchors. Two crossed at each wheel.
I thought about those, but I'm worried if I leave it in the snow that it'll just collapse on the car.

I also saw those $300 car bags, which is like a giant zip lock bag for a car, but I'm hesitant about those too.

OLDIRON

Reaction score
I thought about those, but I'm worried if I leave it in the snow that it'll just collapse on the car.

I also saw those $300 car bags, which is like a giant zip lock bag for a car, but I'm hesitant about those too.

Maybe, but I don't think so. It doesn't puddle water and we had an hour of 60 mph straight line wind last month. No problem.
The usual method of roof reinforcement is to run ratchet straps from side pipe to side pipe over the car to truss the roof.
The plastic top can be drawn as tight as you want with rachet traps and side ground pipes that come in the box.
Makes for a good no touch umbrella. It's nice to be able to mess with the car without de-topping. The cars dry out and stay dry way. Car temp is WAY down.
Just go for it and blame it on me if you don't like it.
$189 till 8/27 with coupon.
Think about this, what are you going to find under a fitted car cover after a couple of years?

P1010002 (14).JPG

P1010001 (16).JPG

P1010006 (6).JPG

P1010007 (5).JPG

P1010008 (4).JPG

P1010009 (3).JPG

P1010004 (9).JPG

P1010005 (6).JPG

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's yhe heavy snow that does those in here but lots of people have them and spend the time to keep snow off.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Maybe, but I don't think so. It doesn't puddle water and we had an hour of 60 mph straight line wind last month. No problem.
The usual method of roof reinforcement is to run ratchet straps from side pipe to side pipe over the car to truss the roof.
The plastic top can be drawn as tight as you want with rachet traps and side ground pipes that come in the box.
Makes for a good no touch umbrella. It's nice to be able to mess with the car without de-topping. The cars dry out and stay dry way. Car temp is WAY down.
Think about this, what are you going to find under a fitted car cover after a couple of years?

View attachment 50717
View attachment 50716

View attachment 50720

View attachment 50721

View attachment 50722

View attachment 50723

View attachment 50718

View attachment 50719
Now that's creative. I hadn't thought of using ratchet straps like that

Justwondering

Reaction score

Cover Craft seems to be good. I had bought a cover for my Aspen from Griot's Garage that is excellent. Basically bought to cover the car while I was building it, haven't used it since though.

My Mustang came with a Cover Craft outdoor cover in the trunk. The quality seems very good. Have never used it to know for sure however.
Sooo Aspen500 --
There is a question that just begs to be asked ....
either: 1) what are you using to cover your autos instead of using the cover?
or
2) If you aren't using the covers for the autos, what are you using the covers for for?

Bwa ha hahaha

JW

OLDIRON

Reaction score
The part of NY I'm from is the one that's famous for godawful lethal storms

That's definitely a concern. Maybe ratchet straps over the top between poles to add more roof ribs, or something. The most I've had on one was about a foot.

LSM360

Reaction score

View attachment 50717
View attachment 50716

View attachment 50720

View attachment 50721

View attachment 50722

View attachment 50723

View attachment 50718

View attachment 50719
Kudos for protecting your old Mopars!

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
That's definitely a concern. Maybe ratchet straps over the top between poles to add more roof ribs, or something. The most I've had on one was about a foot.
Your idea is the best, most affordable option so far

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
any and all Breathable covers will make the car moldy/wet under it. if the car is parked over anything other dry pavement/concrete you are wasting your time. moisture from under it will get trapped when it gets to the cover.

might as well save the $$$ and just buy heavy tarps

Back