Mopar Fuel Pump interchange question

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Alright, I can admit when I don't know jack. I saw this fuel pump on ebay and my brain went like this: NOS. Good. Made in USA. Hell yeah. $29.95? Nice! Free shipping? Woah! 5 in stock!!!! I should buy a lottery ticket!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mechanical-Fuel-Pump-Precision-Fuel-Pumps-M23005/124818682319?

Then ePay's compatibility chart says its only good up to 1981 and not compatible with my 87. What am I missing? ePay is wrong, right? I mean, what's wrong with this pump that would make it not work on an 87?

Camtron

Reaction score
Note sure, just looks like the difference of a horizontal vs vertical barbed fitting.
I got a free 14mm Snap-on socket when I bought my car, was stuck on a fuel pump bolt, lol

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Is horizontal vs vertical really gonna hurt if I get the horizontal one?

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this. Car runs fine, but I smelled gas and sure enough there's fuel coming out at the pump at the flange where the top and bottom halves of the pump meet. So it looks like whatever seal is there just put in its resignation. God only knows how old that pump is. I wouldn't think it's original but who knows

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There's a metal line that goes from that you your carb so yeah it would make a bit of difference.
It's not NOS its just an old new part. I wouldn't bother with it. It still has a rubber diaphragm in it that's aged so it might not last any longer then a new replacement and might not even last that long.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
There's a metal line that goes from that you your carb so yeah it would make a bit of difference.
From the hose barb? The hose barb pointing sideways instead of down looks like the only difference.

Is there a non communist manufacturer making these fuel pumps? I'd settle for Mexico or even India.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
It's not NOS its just an old new part. I wouldn't bother with it. It still has a rubber diaphragm in it that's aged so it might not last any longer then a new replacement and might not even last that long.
Well after looking at it in the light, this makes a lot more sense. Get a load of how the previous owner plumbed the fuel line
20230612_110037.jpg
I'll admit I put that fuel filter on, I replaced the one that was there with this shiny Mopar one. I should have spent more time looking to see what was attached to it. Why couldn't the previous owners of this car do anything right? It's like they had a perfectly good car and instead of repairing it they just made it worse.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
This is just another housekeeping post for the next poor bastard that comes across this thread on the internet with the same question.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the horizontal mounted hose barb. I got a great deal on an Airtex fuel pump 60519 with the barb pointed down. It's listed as the correct pump and was $18.48 with tax an shipping. Pretty cheap. I think these were an old school Autozone brand. A horizontal barb would have made the supply hose routing easier.
s-l1600 (1) (5).jpgs-l1600 (1) (6).jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
Airtex is a major auto parts supplier. Most of their stuff is pretty good, or was, I've had good luck with their products in the past

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Airtex is a major auto parts supplier. Most of their stuff is pretty good, or was, I've had good luck with their products in the past
I bought it because it said "Made In U.S.A." on the box and the seller made me a ridiculous offer. Car fired off the first time I tried it. Old pump was leaking and I found the arm was loose once I got it out

Back