More Orange peel than an orange grove

slant6billy

Reaction score
ICECREAM MAN.jpg
I'll get around to it, wetsanding that is . Until then, I'm driving it.

ICECREAM MAN.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I feel for ya man! When I painted my car, first time with HVLP guns and the clear didn't exactly come out like glass. I mean, it wasn't BAD but was far from perfect. Probably have 50 hours of color sanding with 1,500, then 2000 to remove the 1500 scratches, then 2500 to remove the 2000 scratches and finally 3 steps of buffing. In the end it now looks like a sheet of glass but don't think I need to do it again any time soon, lol!

slant6billy

Reaction score
I feel for ya man! When I painted my car, first time with HVLP guns and the clear didn't exactly come out like glass. I mean, it wasn't BAD but was far from perfect. Probably have 50 hours of color sanding with 1,500, then 2000 to remove the 1500 scratches, then 2500 to remove the 2000 scratches and finally 3 steps of buffing. In the end it now looks like a sheet of glass but don't think I need to do it again any time soon, lol!

The gun tip was a 1.5 and if i had a do over I would have shot with a 1.3 for clear. 50 hours? I figure I have 150 hours infront of me. That blue is like glass though

Aspen500

Reaction score
The 50 hours is a W.A.G., most likely was more than that but I may have blocked (no pun intended) it out of my mind, lol! It is lots of tedious work but in the end, worth every ounce of agony,,,,,,,,,and sore arms, sore back, eyes that have gone buggy..........

I had the recommended tip (forget what it actually was right now), it was the technique that needed honing. I'd gotten pretty good with the old style siphon guns that spray more paint in the air than on the car but the switch to HVLP has a learning curve. Bought a mid line gun for primer (Sharpe) and a real good one for color and clear (Iwata brand, $520,,,,,,,,,,,ouch!) along with high flow hose ends. Had the big-ass compressor already. Way more paint on the car than in the air plus,,,,,had no choice. Around here, get caught using NOT HVLP and up to $2,500 fine (local Rib Mountain ordinance). How would they know? Well, only if a neighbor complained I suppose but why take the chance. Besides, quality car paint is expensive and the more you get on the car, the less you have to buy. Figure I saved enough money in paint to darn near pay for the new guns.

Last edited:
Back