New Acquisition: 1983 Imperial

Bryan M.

Reaction score
IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

$1200. EFI on engine, spare setup in box in trunk. 126,xxx on clock, no asterisk. Have a couple of minor wire repairs in the engine bay due to packrats. Has the snowflake wheels, once I have replacement wheels/tires these will go up for sale. This will not be a restoration as much as a resto-modification. Interior's only fault so far is falling headliner and fabric cooking around the A and C pillars. Seats are miraculously good, for the car having sat outside in Arizona. May try to fix wiring before summer (I go to Washington State all summer, I'll play with my Mirada then.)

Thinking TX9 black, chrome polished. I'm looking at MegaSquirt 2 EFI system for a even more worked 318. Looking at auto and manual trans options...I'm pretty sure I still have the pedals from my old Diplomat. But the miracle is how mint it is...dusty and dirty, but damn...what a find!

83Imp

Reaction score
If you don't already have a troubleshooting manual for the car, don't pull/disconnect/alter anything until you read up on the system. Go out to the Imperialclub.com and read, read, read.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Year/1981-1983/index.htm

A ton of issues can be resolved by a few simple fixes - Air cleaner lid on and tight, auto shut-down module independently grounded, and a couple more. As I said, please read up and you may just leave it as is and drive it!

I was not so lucky with mine - my engine's top end looks like the charcoal grill at Barbeque Bob's. I have dreams of a 440 and taller gear diff swap. A 4spd would be just too far off the Imperial standard for my taste, but I'd love to drive one!

I'd like to have those wheels when you're ready to let them go.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Repairs and first fire attempt will be this weekend. Printed out the Imperial stuff to take with me.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Need a quick answer: What size wire goes to the starter relay wires on the firewall? Drivers side, close to top, five-point connector...

BHA43

Reaction score
83 Imp touched on it but remember the air cleaner has to be on & tight or it won't run!

not a good pic I'll find a better one but here's mine.

120709037.jpg

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
Wow one of the limos. How many of those still kicking around? That a LS behind it?

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Made an attempt at starting today. Power on showed that the instrument cluster for the trip computer isn't functioning. Repaired some wires near the relay next to the power booster, power and a ground on the passenger side firewall. When trying to crank over there's, there's no heavy draw power, but it sounds like the bendix in the starter is sticking or there is possibly a bad wire to the starter. The engine did not even try to rotate.

WildCat

Reaction score
Made an attempt at starting today. Power on showed that the instrument cluster for the trip computer isn't functioning. Repaired some wires near the relay next to the power booster, power and a ground on the passenger side firewall. When trying to crank over there's, there's no heavy draw power, but it sounds like the bendix in the starter is sticking or there is possibly a bad wire to the starter. The engine did not even try to rotate.

How long has it been sitting?

Try removing the plugs squirt some penetrating lube in each cylinder and try turning over by hand.

Sold my 82 Imperial with 31,000 miles for $500 in march, never even tried to turn it over. Had been sitting since 1995

Good luck getting yours running

Back