New Project - 1979 Volare Wagon

Whompin_Wedge

Reaction score
Good Afternoon!

Long time B Body guy... First time F body owner.

I have a fairly solid 79 Volare wagon 318 car on the way and am looking to make some slight adjustments.

1. Headers - What all will fit these cars? Sounds like just about anything, but what fits best?
2. The 8.25 rear... Sounds like a 66-67 B body 8.75 will fit or maybe just some gears and a sure grip for the 8.25? It will be a street car eventually running 12/13's.
3. Leaf springs... Different set up then I am used to. Will B body springs work? Or do I need to just get a set for a F-Body (any good vendors?)
4. Anything else I should be aware of or change?

Here are some pics, however it will be getting steelies and dog dish caps in the near future.

Casey FJ

IMG_1834 (1).JPG

IMG_1835 (1).JPG

IMG_1837 (1).JPG

Camtron

Reaction score
Headers: TTI and/or Doug’s fit best, otherwise basically anything small block fits but, will likely have a drag link going through a primary on the drivers side and will hang pretty low.
Rear end: If it has a 8.25” yea, could maybe nab a sure grip unit if they’re available. Covid seems to have slowed Dana Spicer down still. Otherwise yup, 8.75 from select year B-body or a 8.8 out of a ford explorer/mustang…becoming the more popular option for rear ends, cheap, beefy, good gear ratio gets you rear disk brakes.
Springs: need F body springs but a great time to upgrade to b-body shock plates and ditch the goofy ISO set up and have better rear shock options. FirmFeel is great for suspension and steering parts. I got 5 leaf leaf springs from, General Spring KC and can’t say enough about them, other guys like Espo springs, other guys like their factory spring re-arched.

Cheers.

Camtron

Reaction score
Oh, other things; for me anyway: ditch all the dumb extra ISO bushings, get solid K-frame mounts, get tubular upper control arms from Firm Feel, plate your lower control arms and add some frame connectors. Omg does it make these things drive night and day. From wet noodle to flying brick, lol.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Espo Springs will sell you everything you need except the ISO box/clamp, you'll have to source them or make them if they're rotted. I just bought everything to replace and upgrade my springs from 4 leaf to 5 leaf and it was $581 for everything, including tax and shipping from Espo, they said 4-5 week lead time, and it was like 2 weeks. The 5 leaf ISO clamps I bought off of this forum.

Leaf Spring Shackles, Bushings, Ubolts | ESPO Springs n Things

Locomotion

Reaction score
I have E-body TTI headers on my '78 Aspen race car. Great fit but tight when hooking up trans fluid lines, linkage and band adjustment. I can take the mini-starter out without disconnecting anything (may have to turn the steering), do not need a 90* oil filter adapter and the E-body headers are one piece on both sides. No separate tube over the frame rail. I 2nd the conventional Mopar rear leaf spring pads & shocks but no "bolt-in" OEM original leaf springs will fit without "adapter" front leaf spring mounts - A.R. Engineering. (Then you can add SS springs if desired.) Limited front shock availability, especially if looking for any kind of performance shocks.

Whompin_Wedge

Reaction score
Good call on the adapter plates. I may be able to make a set I have work off my 65 wagon..

I have B Body shock plates already as well. So will a B Body shock work on this set up?

Thank you,
Casey FJ

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll state the obvious: it has an Aspen grille & signal lights.
The grilles on these cars are more fragile than grandma's china. I'm not surprised it's been replaced

Back