New project questions

Hovpar

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1978 Volare /6 4 door it is in great shape and super fun and comfortable to drive but… I have a hard time leaving things alone. So I am considering looking into doing an engine swap to a 360. I know it’s not as simple as it sounds which is why I ask. What k frame and parts are interchangeable with my car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Actually, it is simple. Conversion motor mounts are sold for this and you'll need a v8 transmission. Probably a radiator, but not sure. More experienced members will follow up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The k-frames interchange from any F, M, or J body. Finding a good V-8 K is harder now days but they are out there. Easier is to use Schumacher S6 to sb V8 conversion mounts. They allow a V8 to attach to a S6 k-frame.

Obviously besides the engine, also need the transmission. A 26" radiator isn't a bad idea either.

If your car has a 7.25" rear axle, I'd recommend swapping it for an 8.25, unless your right foot is light.

Of course there's other things like modifying the engine harness where needed, hoses, exhaust, etc.

Last but not least, the t-bars may need a couple turns of the adjusting bolts.

Sounds like more work than it actually is.

Aspen500

Reaction score
More than likely, a 22" I would guess.

Duke, you must have posted while I was still typing earlier. That's how I ended up repeating what you wrote.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It takes a little trimming to open up the radiator support for the larger unit but it will bolt in, the holes are there At least tha was my experience.

Back