New toygher grilles for 78/79 volare

Bill Park

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to have new grilles made for these cars. The issue will be the cost. Mesage me if you are interested the cost will be 2500 Canadian plus shipping

Bill Park

Reaction score
Yes that is why I am asking if there is interest. It is a high price however my costs on having the scanning done precisely so that a high quality duplicate can be printed out of a higher quality plastic than original is high. I would have to sell 5 at this price to break even.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Honestly, not trying to put a damper on you getting them done but it may be even tough to get the first five. Good luck on it though. It`s a little out of my league.

Bill Park

Reaction score
At this point I am ok for grilles I have 3 decent ones. However they are brutal to find. I would hope to make a small amount on them and make a quality product however if there is no interest I will not do it.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Unless a ttop kit car most (no offense) F body owners are thrifty. 2k is probably more than what they paid/car is worth. Can't believe that Moparts/Tonys parts. Etc wouldn't jump on for a mass run of 250 and get price point around 500-750 I'd bet they would sell,problem is Dodge or Plymouth and what years? 78 79? 80 gets left out..76/77?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago someone (forget who) looked into what it would cost to do the unobtainium '78/'79 Aspen grille assy. Was at LEAST $50,000 minimum before the first one was molded. Add in the plating, etc. and the economics of making them wasn't feasible. In the end, unless they could sell a few thousand of them, the selling price would have to very high just to get the development and tooling costs back, unfortunately.

Side note. In 1989 I bought a brand new 79 Aspen grille asy from the Dodge dealer. Cost me a whole $130. If a guy only would have known....Set of 4 wheel lip moldingd was less than $100, fender front edge trim $8 each, hood front die cast molding $28. Man I miss the old days when the majority of F-body parts weren't NS-1. :(

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Lets bring back the now not so horrid $300 Mexican grille. There are plenty NOS units around for the good cars, we need the $300 driver grilles back that after a days work didnt look too bad in the big picture.

IMG_0790840x630.jpg

volare 1977

Reaction score
Tony`s is selling his business. JS Restorations is also not taking on anymore work. It seems like the older guys are just retiring.

Unless a ttop kit car most (no offense) F body owners are thrifty. 2k is probably more than what they paid/car is worth. Can't believe that Moparts/Tonys parts. Etc wouldn't jump on for a mass run of 250 and get price point around 500-750 I'd bet they would sell,problem is Dodge or Plymouth and what years? 78 79? 80 gets left out..76/77?

Last edited:

armataz

Reaction score
sorry, but for me, 2000 or even 500, is too much for plastic. that will suffer the same fate eventually and need replaced again.
I bought a billet grill for a 2005 super duty ford truck for 100.oo bucks, and cut it down to fit (it was too tall).
it fits the shape, and tucks in nicely behind te light buckets. if you are not trying for a full resto look.

aat.jpg

Last edited:

Autostocks

Reaction score
Have thought that 3D printing would be a good solution for this, but never thought about scanning the entire grille. My grille is OK, although it does have a few broken "boxes." What I've had in the back of my mind is to replace some of the broken boxes with new 3D printed boxes. However, I would not personally take this on, as I'd be afraid of doing even more damage cutting the old ones out - would need someone with more skills than me.

Bottom line is I would be a buyer, but not at C$2,500. If it could be brought down to well under US$1,000 I would be interested.

Bill Park

Reaction score
I have cancelled the project. To get a high quality product made out of better materials than the factory one this would basically have been my cost on the first batch of grilles.

TonyVolare

Reaction score
I have a 1978-1979 Dodge Aspen Grille that fits the 76-79 volares too.
$1000. no cracks with the brackets

armataz

Reaction score
I maybe might pay that, if it was a billet aluminum re production grill, I think that is about what it would cost to have one custom made. scanned from one of my original grills

Bill Park

Reaction score
I maybe might pay that, if it was a billet aluminum re production grill, I think that is about what it would cost to have one custom made. scanned from one of my original grills
I wish you luck getting it scanned and getting that scan printer ready for that. The quotes that I got varied from 5500 to over 10000. They are very complex grilles. As the price went north and the interest in the product went north I suspended the idea. Things may change one day or hopefully there is a supplier that sees an opportunity out there for someone.

TonyVolare

Reaction score

armataz

Reaction score
I wish you luck getting it scanned and getting that scan printer ready for that. The quotes that I got varied from 5500 to over 10000. They are very complex grilles. As the price went north and the interest in the product went north I suspended the idea. Things may change one day or hopefully there is a supplier that sees an opportunity out there for someone.
the billit grill I put in my volare cost me 100 off the shelf, it now sells for 180. they are starting to make mid 70's G M billet grills now also.in the same price range or the nova and G bodies/ also for the A body duster, the FMJ's are starting to gain popularity, it is only a matter of time.

Last edited:

TonyVolare

Reaction score
You want me to be honest, your $100 grill looks terrible. It looks like something a 17 year old made. Let me guess you used zip ties to mount it, God knows if it will even stay on the car driving 65mph.

I would have been more impressed if you mounted a Duster Grill and put a duster hood so it closes without gaps. Stay Mopar OEM.

armataz

Reaction score
You want me to be honest, your $100 grill looks terrible. It looks like something a 17 year old made. Let me guess you used zip ties to mount it, God knows if it will even stay on the car driving 65mph.

I would have been more impressed if you mounted a Duster Grill and put a duster hood so it closes without gaps. Stay Mopar OEM.
I used the center grill brace it bolted right up I dont know where you are seeing gaps it tucks i right along side thelight buckets which also serve to secure the ends of the grill
thehood actually has fins attached where the aluminum plymouth plate and brows were and I tucked the front bumper to eliminate the gaps they created. which still exist with my factory grill on my aspen. also the A body dusters hood and grill wont fit the volare, so that is not an option

Last edited:

TonyVolare

Reaction score
If it makes you happy and it works for you and wont fly off then you solved your problem for $100. For me I like it to look like it came out of the factory designed by Dodge the way the engineers spend millions on stying it. Im a purist. I would have had mag 500's or Mopar rally's too not those wheels. I have nothing against the hood scoops they are cool and low profile they should have had them for all the V8's. Same with the chin spoilers which were only on sports wagons and the super coupes.

Back