No Windshield Wipers - 88 5th

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
So, some back story.

They died sometime last year. The car only gets driven a couple times throughout the good ontario days. So they haven't been needed. Lol HOWEVER yesterday I was gonna take a trip in it, and I remembered they didn't work and it showed a cloudy forecast. So I set out to give it a look over.

IGN on/switch off - pin 2 or 3 depending on which way the numbers go at the motor plug, has power. The other three show ground I believe.

IGN on/switch on - all four pins show power.

IGN off/switch off - all 4 pins show ground.

I almost thought it was a seized motor, because at first tapping the motor seemed to make it work.. but then no amount of tapping made them work during their intermittent failure/work normal.

Motor wiring harness unplugged as to not backfeed the circuits.. you can power the motor at any time and it will rocket at lightspeed slapping the blades in to either end of their throw.

When they wont run, but you cycle the wiper switch you can hear a relay clicking under the dash. I think this box might be giving me all my headache??
20200303_152324.jpg

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I almost wonder if I should utilize an intermittent relay from another vehicle, mainly a similar era Volkswagen, and just losing the timed intermittent for a set time intermittent wiper function.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
That green box is your intermittent wiper box – and they do fail from time to time.
On these wipers, the three most likely suspects are: the switch, the wiper motor and the intermittent wiper box.
Other possible suspects are damaged wiring or wiper linkage.

I “might” have a spare Green box, if you can’t find one.
I would highly encourage you to get (if not already) an FSM (Factory Service Manual) for it does give instructions on how to diagnosis that problem.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Chrys...:Dodge&hash=item48d12056c0:g:5lMAAOSwpEldZV44 this one might be a good option (if you don’t have one).

I need to change the switch on my ’86 Fifth Ave. The washers are inoperative from a bad switch.
BudW

Back