port fuel injection?

Nuttyprof

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a port fuel injection from an 87 celebrity on a /6? How did it work?

NoCar340

Reaction score
I assume you're talking about the 2.8L engine? I've never heard of it being done, but maybe someone on one of the /6 boards has done it. It might be worthwhile to scavenge it for some of the parts, but I don't think it would be worth the time or effort to make the factory GM ECM work. If this is something you're considering for your Valiant, you could possibly use the injectors. If you're thinking about putting this on a 225, though, they're way too small and the ECM's calibration won't work.

Matt Cramer from DIYAutoTune did a Slant Six MPFI conversion that's pretty intense (turbocharged with a number of custom items), but those guys are all about using junkyard parts for MPFI conversions with the MegaSquirt ECM controlling it all. He might be a good guy to contact, either through DIYAutoTune.com or the MSEFI.com forums. He's been very helpful to me reagrding my Imperial project. Don't just e-mail and ask him for a how-to on the conversion; that's not how they work--the whole game behind MegaSquirt is learning how all this stuff works. Perhaps telling him what you've got, what you'd like as a goal, and asking him what vehicle's system to start with would be a good starting point.

ramenth

Reaction score
One of our absent members, 413runner, was planning out a supercharged slant build using the injector set up from a 3.8 and the Eaton 90 blower units. I know he had it all planned out and engineered before he sold me the truck it was going in.

I can give him a text and see if he can chime in on this and tell you what his plans were, but it might take a while as he's all over the country for his job. PM him and see if he answers.

Nuttyprof

Reaction score
I was given the entire mpfi system (less the fuel pump), computer and all, even the entire harness. Fuel rails will not work obviously, but I have all the sensors, tbi, maf sensor, etc. I want to build a 170 for fuel economy (to see how far I can get) and thought this would be a good start for add ons.

76volareman

Reaction score
i worked on a slant efi system a few years back. cut tunnels through the head for the injectors to spray directly on the intake valves. never finished it though. mega squirt is a good budget efi diy. ive set up a few.

NoCar340

Reaction score
It's a good idea and a great head start, but as I said I wouldn't bother with the stock ECM and for that matter, most of the harness. Keep the wiring pigtails for the sensors and the injectors, obviously, but there's probably a lot of the harness you won't need or will need to modify in order to fit and function on a long inline rather than a stubby V6. The GM ECM requires a specific set of sensor inputs (such as crankshaft position) that you may not be able to easily duplicate on the 170. Spending a few bucks on something like the MegaSquirt will ultimately save you time and money over trying to make the GM computer still think it's attached to a GM engine. Something as simple as a firing-order difference will completely screw up the GM ignition and injector timing, which is not easily overcome with a waste-fire DIS ignition, which I believe that Celebrity used. Even with a distributor, the archaic computer controls the firing.

Once again, I'd suggest you hop over to DIYAutoTune's website and/or the MSEFI forums and ask. MPFI Slant Sixes have been done time and again, but probably not with the stock GM computer. All those sensors, injectors, etc. you have can still be used with the MS system, which comes already set up for many GM sensors but can be programmed for almost anything. Plus, chances are there are folks out there with base fuel maps that could get you up and running quite nicely with a stock Mopar ignition (even points, if you're retro). Once you've got the fueling in place, you could then concentrate on something more exotic in the ignition department... and unlike using the GM computer, you'd have full control over air/fuel ratios (and if you choose, spark) which you could maximize for economy. That's something the original ECM was never designed to do and can't be talked into doing, either.

Time is money. It's your call how much of either you're willing to spend trying to make the system work as-is. You'll likely wind up with a minimal improvement over a well-tuned OE carburetor/electronic ignition setup should you decide to stick with the GM computer. Technology is leaps and bounds past the giant DIP-package PROM chips, KHz processors and narrowband O2 sensors of 1986. Make use of that, and as a bonus you'll learn quite a lot about EFI on the way.

Nuttyprof

Reaction score
I will check out the sites all of you have suggested, this is the kind of information I was looking for!
Thank you

Back