Possible bump steering or slight resistance in steering when turning slight left

Reaction score
So recently swapped both upper and lower ball joint's and torsion bar bushings. I also put in a Firm Feel Stage 1 police steering box it and a new pitman arm. Got it aligned and new tires. I did get it aligned.

The problem below was noticed before and after it was aligned and new tires.

Now i notice that when i turn slight left i feel what seems like resistance in the steering. Sometimes it feels like it sort of bumps the steering wheel in the opposite direction. I have no idea what could be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm hoping i explained this right.

80mirada

Reaction score
There is an adjustable valve on top of the steering gear. There is a procedure in the service manual for adjustment. Sounds like yours is just off a tiny bit. There are two screws in the body with the hose fittings, you loosen them slightly and bump the valve to the left or right to adjust it. If it was off a lot it will self steer to one side.

AHBguru

Reaction score
Did you use a regular M-body pitman arm?

Measure the distance between the bottom of the pitman arm to the floor, and also the bottom of the idler to the floor. Those most be even. Typically, the idler arm must be shimmed, or the bracket pulled back into the correct location (porta-power).

Also, have an alignment check done. You're looking for excessive positive caster on one side, or excess negative camber on either side.

To test the flow control valve on the steering gear, raise the front wheels off the ground, and support them with jack stands. With your hands off the steering wheel, start the engine. If the steering wheel moves either direction, the valve must be adjusted. This is not a common issue.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay I've been on the cluster for car, ill check both those suggestions this weekend

Thanks for your help so far

Reaction score
Well....as it turns out the lock plate was bent about 2 degrees and therefore rubbing on the lock pin housing. Noticed it today as soon as i removed steering wheel. I now recall the next to last time when i took it apart i tightened the lock plate wrong then fixed it. but did not realize it was bent and going to start rubbing at the time. Now it feels like i think it should. great! I do appreciate ya'lls help.

Back