possible head gasket blown

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
think i may have a blown headgasket,there is milkyness in side the dipstick tube the oil at the bottom dont look milky but she hasnt been running any diffrent other then the stumble could they be related?

whats the best route headgasket wise to replace it if it was the problem and how do i know forsure?

could it be cus the last two weeks have been super humidity its been about 80% all the last two weeks.i dont wanna drive her an mess anything up since she still running fine if it is a headgasket it should just change and be good right?

'
also the exhaust dosnt smell diffrent still jus gassy an only white smoke for the first few mins driving then dissaperes

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

You may have a lot of condensation built up. If the car has not been running for a while, try taking it out for a short drive, and see if it overheats, or if you have a temperature gauge, see if it is running hotter than usual after a short warm up drive. if the car seems to be running at a normal temperature and the white smoke disappears after the car warms up, then it is just condensation.

Another way is to check for oil in the radiator fluid; It is usually better to check by removing the radiator cap instead of just looking at the reservoir.

Kostas

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Missing any antifreeze out of the rad.
If it's the head gasket, the anti freeze has to go somewhere.
Full rad, things are better.
Then just warm the motor up real good and change oil,breather,pcv.

slant6billy

Reaction score
That could be like you said, but do a few checks first. Start it up and note your coolant level cold. As in keep the radiator cap on and watch the level in the overflow. When I did have a head gasket go, the oil level was getting higher due to water getting into it. If your thermostat opens sooner than normal and your coolant circulates (you'll hear the sucking noise from the basin) and then it will fill up to the high mark. I've also had that yellow goo on the underside of the oil fill cap and valve cover breather. I'd see it on the stick too. When I put dual pcv valves on the motor (one on each valve cover), the goo was soon gone. My budy did this to his bronco and it took care of his blow by too. If you change your oil, you'll see a rainbow in the drip pan from the oil and water mixture.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
ok awnsering a couple things here

oil level staying good none on under side of pcv or visible in the heads looking through the holes

antifreeze level seems like it good right under 2qrts

cant really do that test cause i put a small hole in the side of the thermostat, but i may put a warm an cold line on the over flow i just am afraid to drive it could it jus be leaking into a cylinder? but then wouldnt i smell the antifreeze burning?

i put a new fuel pump in yesterday to see if it would help the stumble with no victory, but i found the arm on it really oily nasty and the small hole on the side of the fuel pump was seeping gas.

it jus sucks it only sat for three days but the oil is due in 1k miles

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Here's what I'd do . Grab an air hose from your compressor . Screw into each plug hole , then shoot 125psi of air in each cylinder with the valves closed . If you've got an antifreeze leak issue . That will find it . Trust me .

Last edited:

tim berry

Reaction score
go to your local garage and have the mechanic put the exhaust probe from his anilizer in the radiator if there is hydrocarbon present in your antifreez then your bustin out the tools plan on some time at the machine shop and at least do a valve job good luck

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
go to your local garage and have the mechanic put the exhaust probe from his anilizer in the radiator if there is hydrocarbon present in your antifreez then your bustin out the tools plan on some time at the machine shop and at least do a valve job good luck

HC's in the radiator ? how's that possible ?

Erics5th

Reaction score
If the head gasket is leaking into the coolant passage, then your radiator will be bubbling coolant with the radiator cap off and engine running. Its probably just condensation (water is a by product of combustion) and your not getting the engine hot enough to burn it off.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
If the head gasket is leaking into the coolant passage, then your radiator will be bubbling coolant with the radiator cap off and engine running. Its probably just condensation (water is a by product of combustion) and your not getting the engine hot enough to burn it off.

head gasket leaking , hmmmm ? compression in other words ? Then what's the differance between normal running compression and compressed air ?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Free tool rental at Autozone.
Pressure check the whole cooling system, simply remove the radiator cap and perform the test.
Filling the cylinders will locate a leak only if that leak is in the combustion chamber. If the coolant is leaking from a bad intake or timing cover gasket, the air compin the cyl aint gonna show that.
Even a loose power steering/water pump bolt can have some coolant seep past the threads into the crankcase.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score

X2.....

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score

If it's leaking bad enough all you need to do is remove the radiator cap and crank it over . It'll blow antifreeze out the filler cap like a gizzer .

Back