possible head gasket blown

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
geuss ill take her for a long drive on the highway and see what the oil looks like and go from there or should i just buy new head gaskets , would there be any that people would recomend to get more outta the engine for just a gasket?

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
geuss ill take her for a long drive on the highway and see what the oil looks like and go from there or should i just buy new head gaskets , would there be any that people would recomend to get more outta the engine for just a gasket?

We all agree that a headgasket may/may not be your issue . It might be ! Just keep an open mind that you might be doing all work for nothing . It maybe as simple as using the wrong oil too ! seen that happen aswell .

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Sure sounds like condensation to me. I'd do an oil change first. If you do a lot of short driving without fully warming the engine, or if the pvc is plugged you will get moisture in the crankcase. Start simple first.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
Sure sounds like condensation to me. I'd do an oil change first. If you do a lot of short driving without fully warming the engine, or if the pvc is plugged you will get moisture in the crankcase. Start simple first.

this makes total sense now one question i took the pvc valve off the other day cause it was making noise i changed with my valiant noise went away the other had a very loose springy "spring" the ball or whatever it is that stops the flow was sucked all the way to the top when i removed could it have been stuck closed at the top of the valve and made the condensation in the crankcase?
also the oil dip stick does not seal at all at the top this could be leading moisture right to where i said i saw it?. how do u remove the tube so i could try to work with it off the car ?

i really hope the head gasket aint blown ima drive her tonight and check oil at a gas station or something take her out 5miles on a nice open country road.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I don't think you need to remove the dip stick tube. Also, 5 miles is not enough. You need to drive for an hour or more at full temp. Change oil, pvc, and drive. Make sure the pvc hose is not plugged.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
drove for a lil bit took a 25mile drive at 45-70 mph at full temp still milky looking but i realized what i may have done.:(

the last time i put oil in her i got part of a bottle that was in the trunk of my moms car and was all wet and condensaty i didnt even think about it could that bottle have had water in it that i threw in?

only thing i can seriously think of unless the gasket is done ima change oil tomorrow

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Change the oil, check pvc valve and hose for proper operation

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
will do im gonna change the line also ,operation? the line just sucks air thru the front of the eddy carbs right........should i try to get rid of the oil breather and put in a second pvc and hook that to same spot on the air cleaner? should i buy some carb cleaner and run some thru the pvc holes awhile running and try to see if it sucked oil making something stick inside the carb?

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
so updates ima change the oil today weather permitting cus i have to do it on the street (no garage),oil is not getting any higher in level and the antifreeze looks like its the same on the line that i drew on the bottle before i left yesterday night for the drive. that bottle had to have water condensate inside the bottle thats the only thing i can think of i did i noticed the oil seemed very light it said 10-30 76 brand

new oil / filter
new vacuum hose all around (why not)
new pcv
clean breather
shoot all orifaces with some carb clean
get some mid range octane an take her out for a spin(usualy use regular)

ima be pissed if the oil gets milky again

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
another tip . look on the radiator cap for an oily substance . Oil may not look present , but that's another tattle tell way/sign to see if it's getting in there .

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Short, repeated drives in colder weather may continue to allow moisture to build up. That's another good reason to change oil every 3 months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
OK i drained the oil it had to be condensation cus if i had a blown head gasket the oil wouldn't look normal change oil time kinda oil it was black.
but one thing i noticed was a can i must have bought when she needed oil i used mobil1 mono hd 30 musta grabbed it on accident would that hurt the old oil mixing with regular 10-30
noticed the breather was prolly the culprit or the Saviour it had the milky shit all inside it and i poured out really watery oil out of it taking it off. should be good now fresh valvoline 20-50 and i used some berry-mans combustion chamber carb cleaner seems shes running a Lil cleaner but the stumble is still there my dad says we need to take the carb apart and clean it says may be crud in there somewhere.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
What carb are you running? Look down the throat while it's not running, operate the throttle, you should see a solid steady squirt from the accell. pump.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
my dad says timing fuel or vacuum

could the hit have been enough to knock the timing out but not anything else?i did the timing not too long ago soo only thing that could have happend.

Back