post valve lash adjustment vid

compubert

Reaction score
After 2 hrs of careful tweaking I was happy! Still good w/540k miles.
image.jpg

image.jpg

compubert

Reaction score
Yeah, 539,238 actual but that number is expected to continue climing slowly. I only commute 1.1miles to work. . .so... there was to be a video of the valve train in action but I didnt know how to post this from my iPad. Sorry.

compubert

Reaction score
Yessir, car sat for 3 years and another 2 back in the 90's due to insurance/tag/money issues but was still operational after the recent park job. Just had my son help with a valve adj but cannot figure out how to post a .mov from an iPad. Sounds like a Singer, well oiled I might add, I can show the valves are clean after that mileage, but not nearly as exciting.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Sounds like a Singer, well oiled I might add, I can show the valves are clean after that mileage, but not nearly as exciting.

Oh, I don't know about that, we do love our car pron around here.:icon_thumright:

compubert

Reaction score
There are only a handful of parts that have been (replaced) all stock - still running the original alternator, radiator and transmission - differential - engine has not been *apart* but far enough to install a new cam chain at around 500k. Valves were supposed to be adjusted about quarterly if I remember right @20,000 miles but it usually held well enough to get me to twice a year. The poor thing has seen almost as much time off-roading as highway. Pulls great and only been stuck twice. Pulled out a new cj-7 buried in sugar sand cause the kid that bought it didn't know how to lock the hubs in..... after I sealed up the vent on the distributor, did well in deep water too. Used to just head to the woods for fun on the weekends.... :) Wagon so room for the whole family!

compubert

Reaction score
20140921_174801008_iOS.jpg
20140921_174727331_iOS.jpg
20140921_174734197_iOS.jpg
Not too shabby for 500+ miles huh. I have number 6 (intake) isn't pumping too much oil. The rest are splashing it everywhere... any thoughts on how to unplug it with out tearing it all apart? Tried carb cleaner and compressed air, no joy...

20140921_174801008_iOS.jpg

20140921_174727331_iOS.jpg

20140921_174734197_iOS.jpg

compubert

Reaction score
Yep, dash plug and instrument cluster are kinda flaky, bad grounds abound. had to bolster the electrical with addl ground wires here and there... the stock wiring goes in loops on the valve cover though so some of that is dangling whilst I was adjusting it all...

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I meant like bailing wire. should be able to run it all the way through your oil passages to clear up any blockages. I don't think compressed air would work on a partial one, no way to build pressure unless it's completely closed off

compubert

Reaction score
You know I didn't try in an unplugged one, I was thinking the hole didn't line up till the rocker was in up/down position and I did try a very small spark plug gapping wire that had been straightened out but not in an unplugged one. I guess the top comes back off again (hopefully) this weekend, and I can always take the pushrod out to move it further up.... down would be another matter. I also need to flush out the carbon chunks that got blown in the pan when I was in there doing the adjustments. . .

compubert

Reaction score

Finally, figured out how to get this where I can link it to the site! Sorry for the extended wait times folks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back