Power antenna replacement

Interior and Electrical

1. Camtron

Camtron Well-Known Member

My power antenna bit the dust today. Gears just grind and the antenna no longer raises or lowers.
    So, has anyone happened to have replaced their power antenna and able to make a recommendation for replacement? Everything looks like the same couple stock photos when I’m looking online.
    Does it really matter or will any universal power antenna replacement work?

thanks.

2. Mikes5thAve

Mikes5thAve Well-Known Member

It's probably the mast which has a nylon cable inside it to make it go up and down. If you want to stay with power The cheapest and easiest is to get an aftermarket one.

3. Hayzoos

Hayzoos Well-Known Member

A universal power antenna should work fine. I haven't installed one in years. I put a handful of them in various vehicles, some replacing factory power, some replacing manual telescoping bent in the car wash. Our power antennas have a control module in the dash which is not needed for a universal. They usually have a power connection, a radio on signal connection, a ground, and the antenna connection.

4. 53ryder

53ryder Well-Known Member

My '87 Fifth Avenue has the same problem with a non-working power antenna. Awaiting spring/summer weather to replace it since I'll most likely have to work on it outside.

Glenn

5. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

I installed an aftermarket one in my car and it's extremely noisy in operation. I just disconnected the stupid thing and play all my music off of a thumb drive now or my phone. If you get one I would try and test it before installation just to see.

6. Justwondering

Justwondering Well-Known Member

Camtron ... if you get a replacement, would you send me your old dead antenna?
    JW

7. Camtron

@Justwondering, I absolutely would.
    I’ll post what I end up doing for a replacement.
    I remember enough stationary/static antennas getting bent/broken off of cars growing up that, it makes me uneasy to think of putting one on.
    I use a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the cigarette lighter to stream music off my phone over the cars speakers. Works just fine with the antenna down; it just bugs me knowing it’s broken.
    Edit: plus, every time I turn the radio on and off, I have to hear that god awful grinding sound.

8. 53ryder

53ryder Well-Known Member

On my '87 5th Ave the antenna does not move up or down. I'm thinking something is stripped out. When I drive somewhere, before I leave the house I'll manually pull the antenna up. At some point when I turn the radio on there will be interference for about 3-4 seconds then it will stop and sound will come on from whatever station I have it tuned to. I guess I thought that was noise from the motor and gears operating. I figured that was just the norm. Only owned the car since last November so plenty things still new to me.

9. Justwondering

Justwondering Well-Known Member

53ryder -- its probably the nylon cord on the interior. Its either broken or has the bottom stop has failed.
    JW

10. Mikes5thAve

Mikes5thAve Well-Known Member

Stationary antenna should be ok. Even growing up we never had a car with them break off. The only things I have with them now are trucks and they've never been a problem. You can also get antennas that are retractable by hand.

You don't hear as much about it now but people used to remove the antenna from the outside and put an antenna in the car under the dash or over the headliner, in the back of the trunk.

11. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

The nylon cord inside of the mast gives people the most problems. The motors are the next item in line to go out. I removed the inoperative power antenna from my '86 Fifth Ave (and gave to JW, a couple years back) and replaced with a non-power version.
    It is not hard to do.
    BudW

Justwondering likes this.
  12. Camtron

I wouldn’t expect it to be a hard thing to do. I also don’t anticipate a stationary antenna to just spontaneously breaking either; people like to break them, just like they like to steal hood ornaments...living in the third most populated city in the, US has it ups and downs. The biggest down being, there’s literally millions of assholes for as many millions of decent people are around.

53ryder likes this.