Prom Season

slant6billy

Reaction score
wheres the 5th.jpg
Ok My Dad took photos of the Proms. He was a hobbyist photographer. I went to 6 different Proms with 4 different girls. Each one went in my Dad's '83 5th or his uncles '85 5th- both were grey with wire wheels hubcaps. Now if my sister would give the box of photos to me of the fifth looking good on Prom night. Sorry friends.......... the backdrop is one of a few my date forwarded to me. Don't know who owned the car in the pic. The 5th was parked ahead of it. The 5th had more comforts... like cold blast air and a cassette player. I remember having Dokken "Break'n the Chains " and other 80's metal playing in the 5th on Prom night. So a 5th was my ride for 6 Proms........... The 5th was such a player! Damn straight!

wheres the 5th.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Big hair.....big fun!!
Dokken.....lmao!!
Haven't heard that in a looooong time.
Very cool indeed that a Fifth was your ride!

NoCar340

Reaction score
This photo was leaked to the press from a source within the Mulletary Intelligence community. :eusa_dance:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I actually grew my mullet back to annoy my wife. Then it occurred to me that it provided humor. You cannot make fun of gays, minorities, fat people, stupid people, handicap, or those that fell out of the ugly tree. However, there is one human to make fun of. That leaves the guy with the mullet. It is always OK to make fun of the guy with the mullet. Thus, I provide that outlet by keeping my mullet. So I am OK with any remarks to my mullet - either mullet of the '80s or the one I sport now. The other fun part..... is when the guy with mullet corrects the grammar, punctuation and spelling of his kid's teacher. Nothing more insulting when the guy with mullet slaps someone upside the head and corrects them. More to the humor with the mullet. "The womens always dig the mullet"

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I actually grew my mullet back to annoy my wife. Then it occurred to me that it provided humor. You cannot make fun of gays, minorities, fat people, stupid people, handicap, or those that fell out of the ugly tree. However, there is one human to make fun of. That leaves the guy with the mullet. It is always OK to make fun of the guy with the mullet. Thus, I provide that outlet by keeping my mullet. So I am OK with any remarks to my mullet - either mullet of the '80s or the one I sport now. The other fun part..... is when the guy with mullet corrects the grammar, punctuation and spelling of his kid's teacher. Nothing more insulting when the guy with mullet slaps someone upside the head and corrects them. More to the humor with the mullet. "The womens always dig the mullet"

Although I don't have a Mullet.....more like an army buzzcut...
It is indeed funny to see peoples faces when they get corrected by the unshaven plaid wearing beer drinking redneck who only made it to grade 7.....

NoCar340

Reaction score
Rock the mullet, Billy! I know the feeling... I lost several teeth to a car accident about 15 years ago; no one wants to be corrected by the toothless guy in the camo jacket. :icon_biggrin:

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Cool pic Billy....
5th.....sweet car.
Dokken....kicked ass
Mullet.....had one before they were ever called a mullet. Then when they started calling it that I just grew it all out so I'm still just a friggen hippie... lol

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yeah, calling it a mullet came along long after everyone had one. The name was sort of retroactive. A friend of mine from Jersey told me the name got started because back then, East Coasters would call each other "mullet head" as a friendly insult: "What's up, mullet head?" It had nothing to do with the haircut other than the fact that just about everyone had one at the time. Those without them eventually started referring to anyone still with the haircut after the fad as a "mullet head" and it grew from there.

It's the only explanation I've ever gotten for how the name started, but it makes sense.

alf44

Reaction score
used to have a skullet,, bald on top n long pony tail,lol now have NO hair,,;)

brotherGood

Reaction score
My prom ride was my Ram. While, the "hip" music when I was in school was Kanye, etc..I still had a playlist that included Dokken. Mostly Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica, etc.

The night before my prom, I got "tagged" at work. Spent all morning, and half the afternoon washing and waxing the truck...in the light rain nonetheless. But, that thing looked cleaner than some of the paid rides kids had.

promtruck_zps7bdaef4e.jpg

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
Best wash job I've ever done on any vehicle. I think what made it pop, in all actuality, was the eagle one spray on wax stuff. It's the only time I've ever used it, and I can't match how good that truck looked

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Best wash job I've ever done on any vehicle. I think what made it pop, in all actuality, was the eagle one spray on wax stuff. It's the only time I've ever used it, and I can't match how good that truck looked

I just picked up the Meguiars spray on wax.
Looks damn good.....spray on....wipe off.
My Turtle Wax days are done.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If you want a really good shine, assuming that the paint is in good shape, and you have the time (this process usually takes me a weekend, about 4-5 hours each day), go get some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #2, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #9, and a good pure carnuba wax (I like One Grand). Wash the car. Start cleaning the paint with the Meguiar's #2, in straight lines, a section at a time, until all of the paint has been cleaned. Car will look all lightly scratched all over, but don't worry. Now, do the same with the Meguiar's #9. Make absolutely sure that the the car is NOT in sunlight, or you will have a hard time getting the Meguiar's #9 buffed off. That should have taken 3.4-5 hours. Next day, wash the car again. You should notice that the swirls/fine scratches are pretty much gone. Dry the car off, and start waxing (again in straight lines). Wax and buff until complete. You will need to repeat this in a couple of months.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
The best I've ever used is #885 Collinite. Only available in auto body supply shops & the factory. Use a damp piece of terry or micro-fibre towel, wipe on, wipe off. No buffing. Don't let it dry, or you'll never get it off w/o re-application. Had the used car detail manager from my local Chrysler dealer turn me on to the stuff. Listed for Marine & Aeronautical applications. How many times a year do you want to wax your 747, or 50' yacht? Really, the stuff is good for at least 5 years w/o being parked in a garage. Everyone who ever had me do a corner of their car or truck in the past 20 + years has ended buying a can for themselves. Literally, wipe it on, & wipe it off. The shine & protection are unbeatable! It also doesn't leave a residue that can't be removed w/o a ton of work. Works great on black as well. We put it on our license plates (front & back) to prevent rust. We've never had even surface rust appear on the plate since then.

My imp

Reaction score
Might be #855. The other is their leather/vinyl protectant. Also the best I ever used. Keeps the leather supple w/o that glow in the dark shine! Smells good too!

brotherGood

Reaction score
Hmm..may have to check those out too. Ive always had a liking for nice, shiny cars. But I shadowed a professional detailer one summer...now, Im anal about it..lol. So much so, that I never get time anymore to wash my cars..because it takes SO long. Im too meticulous for someone who's car has not much paint.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I used learned, and used, the above method for my '88 Chev. Beretta, and then my (now departed) Lincoln Mark VIII. The Mark VII had a really dull, faded black (with clear coat) paint job when I got it. Did some research, and latched onto the Meguiar's+Meguiar's #36 wax at first, then went to the Meguiar's/pure carnuba method detailed above. Car looked almost new when I finished the process the first time around. Kept with it, and the car just kept getting better and better, the black seeming to get better/deeper each time. I ended up having to stop, as the clear coat started to peel off, and I couldn't use the process anymore.

I looked up Collinite 885, and it is a marine wax. It carries this warning, taken directly from the Collinite 855 Technical data sheet:

"Only apply to a CLEAN surface; washed, and free of blemishes, discoloration or other imperfections like swirls or scratches. A clean/properly-prepped surface will ease theapplication/removal process; improving spread and increasing durability of wax’s bond"

It seems to form some sort of chemical bond with the paint, which I am not sure I am comfortable with. It also states that it is good for 5 MONTHS, not 5 years, as per their site.

Collinite does make a wax, called No. 915, Marque D'Elegance, which is a pure Carnuba wax, and looks extremely good.

As for Collinite No. 855 Leather and Vinyl Wax, i"m not really sure I can get my head around it. Leather and vinyl don't have the same chemistry make up (leather=dead animal skin, vinyl=petroleum chemical soup), so if a product is effective on one, I don't see how it could be effective on the other. They talk about feeding vinyl, but as far as I know, you can't feed vinyl, you can only feed leather due to its losing its inherient oils.

Not looking to start a flame war or anything, just trying to work out what is the best to use.

Kostas

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Crazy thing about this thread...... I was kicking a job at a carwash gas station- detailing cars with my mullet back in the days of Prom. Did that gig for almost 8 years. Greatest job I ever had. At the end of the day exhaustion and satisfaction. I gave new life back into old paint. These days I build spreadsheets and beat up software testers. Real exciting.

Back