Questions about the Magnum small blocks

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

Still don't have the Mirada on the road yet (no replacement windshield). However, I have been offered (free) a Dodge Magnum V8 (5.9L) from a 1998-1999 Dodge 2500. The engine appears to have spun a bearing, so it will need some work, but I don't know how usable it would be in the Mirada. I am thinking that I could take the fuel injection out and go with a standard 4 barrel carb set up, but I don't know enough about the ignition setup, or how it can be made to hook up to the existing A904 (really, a A998) transmission. I know it is externally balanced like the LA family 360, but is differently balanced (?) from what I have read, but don't know how. My questions are:

1. If I do take the engine, can I have the machine shop that does the engine work balance it internally so that it would be usable with the A904? What is the regular transmission that is used behind the Magnum 5.9L, and would it fit into the Mirada? Would the A904 physically mate up with the Magnum? Is there a flex plate/bellhousing that can be used to get the A904 mated to the Magnum V8?

2. What kind of power can be expected from this engine, if I use a 4 barrel carburetor instead of the fuel injection? I know it will be down some from the 230-245 HP factory rating, but does anybody have any idea of how much? I still think it will be far better than the original 318 2barrel by a significant amount.

This is for long term planning purposes, and was prompted by the offer. I still haven't really decided if I want the engine yet, but it will be around for a while, so I do have some time to consider things before I decide.

Kostas

77RTNJ

Reaction score
The magnum will fit, you should just need the correct mounts. There are ways to get the fuel injection to work if you have the whole harness and computer. The auto transmission that would be behind it is a A-518 4 speed overdrive automatic. It will fit our cars too, but you must remove some ribbing on the side of the overdrive case, and build a new trans crossmember. No need to cut the tunnel. You might have to bang it out a little. It would be best to get a trans from the same year 2wd vehicle and you should be able to control the trans with the whole computer set-up, if not there are kits to make the overdrive and lock-up work without the computer.
You could always use your 904. I think the engine balance weights are on the flex plate not the torque converter, like the previous 360's. If you do some research I beleive there are convertors that should fit your 904 and the magnum flex plate. if you don't go with the fuel injection the Magnums still have a distibutor, so you should be able to swap in the older style electronic ignition, get a 4bbl intake and carb for a magnum engine and be set.

Do google searches for Magnum swap and you should find some more info. People have done them.

Kevin

slant6billy

Reaction score
One other obstacle- the fuel pump. You need to figure out if a external electric pump is going to work. If I were to come across a 96 through 98 Ram SS/T or indy Ram, I'd grab the 5.9 out of it with all the harness and trans. The later OBD2 motors get more ability to tune with a computer. The dakota R/T in 1999 is also another good prospect. they had an option from mopar for more power. I suggest an oil filter relocation kit from summit or jegs- this allows you some room for headers or manifolds. Other guys have stated the manifolds are a problem, so look for the thread on the manifolds. I'm looking right now at a 1996 jeep grand cherokee with a 5.2. The pass side manifold is banked away from the motor at aslight angle and use my 97 rams' manifold from the driverside. That is a cheap turn until headers

Back