Ran into old friend today

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Unbelievable! I found my old 440 mirada today. Although it's rusty, faded, and quite sad looking, it's back on the road. I sold it in 1993 and it still looked very good, but 20+ years later in the rust belt has taken it's toll. It turns out, the guy who bought it from me drove (beat it) a few years, then sold it to his brother. It then sat in said brothers auto-repair/junkyard for years. Fast forward to 2 months ago, the son of the first buyer saw it and fell in love with it, traded his old 5.0 mustang to his uncle for the car, and as of 2weeks ago, it's back on the road! He said he wants to restore it. He'll need alot of ambition, but I'm happy to see this old friend possibly getting a new lease on life. I enjoyed talking to him and explaining what all I had to do to get the 440 in there. Maybe someone else has a similar story to tell.

80 mirada.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That must have been a buzz to see it.....
Very cool indeed.

I have a similar but reversed story
When I bought the Caravelle off the old timer it was pretty rough.
When I finished redoing it I brought it back to him so he could see it all pretty again.
Just pulled in his building (retirement home) and buzzed him out of the blue.
You should have seen the look on his face even he saw her gleaming away looking pretty......his wife started crying.
They really loved that car but they couldn't drive it anymore and he wanted it to go to someone who would fix it up.....apparently it did.
It was a very cool moment.....

Last edited:

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
very cool stories
jasper,,,did you tell him to sign up to this site, maybe he'd get a lil more motivation to work on it and learn more about it

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I have a strange desire to get this car back. My wife thinks I'm crazy. She may be right.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, I guess I would suggest re-acquainting yourself closely with it before you make any rash decision. You can never go home again, and if it's a shadow of its former self you might just remember why you decided to sell it in the first place. Conversely, you might just be overcome by the awesome and prove your better half 100% correct.

tim berry

Reaction score
troy I think at some point we all have the notion to go back home so to speak .resist the thought but if the kid is local and you have the time help him out could be the start of a new friendship and a second look at what you did back in the day ( those opportunitys only come once in awhile )

Last edited:
Back