Random Pics

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I never had any issues with driver comfort in my '88 Diplomat. It was much better for me than my '68 Barracuda that I had around the same time. The driver's door arm rest was too far forward and high; my left arm would go numb on long trips. A-bodies may be nice to look at, but I find the ergonomics to be far superior on FMJ bodies.
My left knee kept knocking into the M body door panel, and when I went to the green interior I accidentally solved that problem. The armrest is nicer and the door handle is easier to reach on the F body style. Plus the seats are a lot more comfortable

MoparDan

Reaction score
Yes. It needs a name. Like Gran Volaremat or the 78 87. I even put 78 decals on stuff. But I'd really recommend switching to those F body style door cards. The armrests and door handles are so much more ergonomic and you pick up like over an inch of leg room.
(I tried uploading a photo but it's saying it's too large for the server? Wtf?)
How well do the rear door panels fit? I know the doors on '70s have a different shape then the '80s

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
How well do the rear door panels fit? I know the doors on '70s have a different shape then the '80s
I had to massage the top a little. I cut the inner window sweeps on the ends and gently use a rubber mallet to round the ends of the metal liner to shorten the top. I probably got about a quarter inch off each end. Everything else lined up exactly. The plastic fake wood trim was the right length. There was just a smidge of extra material on either end
20230216_141432 (1).jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Mopar or no car! Got a tan cap and a new rotor for my distributor (already did the plugs and wires)
20240220_162942.jpg
Which made me think of this:
fa323db21302b4cf8aa60bc243bb1780.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
My left knee kept knocking into the M body door panel, and when I went to the green interior I accidentally solved that problem. The armrest is nicer and the door handle is easier to reach on the F body style. Plus the seats are a lot more comfortable

I've never had either of those problems but the arm rest part is probably more due to how people sit and the Chrysler seats are cushier then the dodge and plymouth ones are.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I've never had either of those problems but the arm rest part is probably more due to how people sit and the Chrysler seats are cushier then the dodge and plymouth ones are.
Yeah, I don't know how much was bad design and how much was worn out seats. But it's a lot better now

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

there is just something about the Lebaron doorcard. must be the woodgrain. my only issue with the doorcards on these is they're a pain in the butt to put back on right, and the metal door handle loves to get loose. that and my mechanic half ripped my interior door handle off. the fabric one thats built into it.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
View attachment 52124
there is just something about the Lebaron doorcard. must be the woodgrain. my only issue with the doorcards on these is they're a pain in the butt to put back on right, and the metal door handle loves to get loose. that and my mechanic half ripped my interior door handle off. the fabric one thats built into it.
The plastic woodgrain around the window crank was a trim level available on 4 door cars and wagons. The 80s M body door handle is like a "drop" handle. It attaches to the same place the old handles do. The door cards pop off with any old plastic trim removal tool you can get at Autozone.

what's wrong with this picture?

View attachment 52125
Looks like one of 3 scenarios. 1) they had an accident any couldn't find a new Diplomat nose 2) it's a detective car forced into patrol service 3) they were cheap bastards and bought whatever was available that year

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever seen a lebaron 4 door without the wood. All but maybe the very basic cars had it but most were also power windows. Don't need any special tools to get the door panels off. A normal flat blade screw driver will do it.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the cop car pic but it looks like it might have the lebaron turn signals you can sort of see the line on top of them between halves. But the fender isn't correct it has no side marker light. Hard to tell too on the grille but it looks like a 5th avenue one.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Diplomat interior trim options for 78. I can't remember where I got these from
78_Diplomat_0009.jpg78_Diplomat_0003.jpg78_Diplomat_0008.jpg78_Diplomat_0002.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
That makes more sense. Ok I'll change my original statement. I don't think I've ever seen a Diplomat with door panels like that. With the plasti-wood at the window crank and along the top by the window I thought those were originally from a lebaron.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
That makes more sense. Ok I'll change my original statement. I don't think I've ever seen a Diplomat with door panels like that. With the plasti-wood at the window crank and along the top by the window I thought those were originally from a lebaron.
The lebarons had them too, so you're right, but I'm sure there's some subtle differences in colors or trim or in the fake woodgrain. I wish I had the whole dealer options book

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
Lebaron was indeed legit NYPD spec for 1981. they went with the Gran Fury for 82. they actually now own a replica. also there was one in a lot that got scrapped around 2011-13ish. allegedly an officer death car. that Port Authority car i posted above indeed was not a Lebaron. its a Diplomat with a Fifth Avenue nose (note: no side marker lights)
06-IMG_1457.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Lebaron was indeed legit NYPD spec for 1981. they went with the Gran Fury for 82. they actually now own a replica. also there was one in a lot that got scrapped around 2011-13ish. allegedly an officer death car. that Port Authority car i posted above indeed was not a Lebaron. its a Diplomat with a Fifth Avenue nose (note: no side marker lights)
View attachment 52133
Could be they had a lebaron that was rear ended and a diplomat that needed a header panel and the guys at the garage said "f-ck it" and cobbled them together. They were cobbling together crown vics like that for years. I still see an occasional crown vic made up of other vics locally

Back