Red 81 Imperial on eBay

83Imp

Reaction score
Item 330924494188

I hope none of you are (still) bidding on this Imperial. There are several things wrong with what the seller states in his auction. I sent him a message last week... and of course never heard back from him. The verbiage of the ad has changed slightly, so I think he read what I wrote, but it is still 'law suit' wrong.

He continues to state that the car is fuel injected, the mileage as 89xx miles, that the car is a FS (Frank Sinatra edition), and that the car is a Mark Cross 'edition.' Some facts he is light on...:

The pics show that the fuel injection system has been removed from this car and that the carburetor retrofit has been installed. It has the Combustion Control Computer, carburetor "Lean Burn" system, not fuel injection.

As part of the carburetor retrofit process (and sometimes under warranty because they went bad), the electronic instrument clusters were changed. The replacement is apparent because of the Asterisk above the stated mileage in the instrument cluster pics. So, the car has 89xx miles, PLUS however many more miles were on it before the retrofit/dash was swapped out.

ALL Frank Sinatra Imperials were Glacier Blue with light blue leather or velvet interiors - 'Old Blue Eyes'. None were red. All had a small center console which held the Frank Sinatra cassettes that came with the car. He may have badges, but it is NOT a FS. If I remember correctly from last week, the ad said Frank Sinatra Imperial.... now, not so much. See brochure here.

All 81-83 Imperials had Mark Cross designed/inspired interiors. There was "Mark Cross" advertising, just like Ricardo Motalban, not an 'edition' as he states.

So, all that being said... It's a very nice car, and the Sunroof option is one of the rarest, right up there with the AM/FM 8-track and CB option.... but I don't think it's $5K nice. The biggest thing for me is the unknown mileage. Buyer Beware.

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
Something else fishy is that all of its Imperial badges are gone. It must of had a repaint. Sure is sexy though.

8d5 AHB

Reaction score
The underside "Spray Bombing" is always suspect.

83Imp

Reaction score
$8,619..... I sure hope the 'winner' knew what he was getting. I like where the prices are going, but not if dishonesty is what it takes.

CMX360 - yep, no badges and no body side molding/edge guards. There should also be an aluminum trim panel over that black plastic trunk opening area. Repaint overspray is apparent on the pic of the VIN sticker, trunk struts, and open door striker pics. Looks like a nice 'dent' on the plastic grill surround pass side.

8d5 - Agreed, the engine's 'dealer' shine is over the top too.

Again, I wouldn't mind having it, but for that price, nope.

Last edited:

froomg

Reaction score
"Detailed and ready to retail," I'd say. I don't know this guy personally, but I do know that he often buys cars at this little twice yearly classic car auction near me. I often see them on eBay after he's given them the old fluff 'n buff. His over-exposed photos always make them look waaaaay nicer than they do in person. I can't speak for this car in particular, though.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Agreed that the overexposed photos hide a whole lot... Fishy that it is relisted, says the buyer sent a deposit, then disappeared...... Also -- if you look real close at the bumpers, the chrome has lots and lots of swirl marks in it... And ALSO, look at the lower grill -- it is missing a chrome bar, and ALSO, the top of the dash is bowing up a little bit. A "museum queen" this car is not. I was tempted to bid, but I keep getting burned in sight-unseen purchases. I think I learned my lesson. Finally.

Back