Removing Outside Vinyl Triangle, 87 5th Ave

mgbeda

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to fix the broken opera lamp on my 87 5th Ave. I've seen the great detailed sticky thread, but it doesn't say how to separate the outside triangular vinyl panel on the rear door, behind which the opera lamp sits. Also it looks like the 88 (in the sticky) and 87 are different, as in the 87 triangle is a little shorter and actually has a hidden piece of glass inside.

I was able to get opera lamps out of a junkyard car, but not without mangling the mounting of the triangles. It seems they are riveted to the chrome strip that runs under the window along the entire door.

Thanks,

-mB

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The top has a Phillips screw you can see when you open the door. The bottom is riveted but you can usually carefully pull the top out far enough to get in.there without having to drill out rivets. Otherwise that's what you have to do.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Agree with Mikes5th Avenue.
I had a rivit gun, so I didn't hesitate to drill out the rivits after I removed the phillips screw backed out at the top.

The bottom bracket with the rivit is pliable and that opera light is pretty easy to manage.

Be aware of the wires. I wasn't careful enough and on one side one of the wires is looped in the wrong direction and keeps trying to show in front of the led strip that I used.

If you use the original light holder, you won't have the same problem.

JW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '87 (and older) are different from the '88-89 versions. I have even seen a few different ways the '87 and older are assembled.
The big thing is to take your time. Getting impatient will cause breakage.
BudW

Back