Ruffles is bringing back the F Body ! Tangy Honey Mustard anybody ?

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Ruffles commercial now running on tv featuring Ruff McThickridge's Aspen or Volare. Being a Mirada guy I still cant tell the difference yet, looks like one of those Super Coupes

Ruffles car.jpg
ruffles poster.jpg

Ruffles car.jpg

ruffles poster.jpg

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
I saw this awhile back, it's not a Super Coupe its a 78-79 Road Runner , also in the commercial is a black 80 Aspen/Volare and a black Charger.

But really...??????? ....Honey mustard potato chips..????? .....yuk!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The return of the 70's yet again.
And so it begins....
I remember cracking off that these cars would become the next "gotta have one" cool car. Most people said I was nuts. But it's happening.
Give it five to ten years and Fifths will be the same deal.
All the F's and M's will become "sooooo cool"
The Sinatra Imp'a in good shape are already fetching more money now.
Our day will come...sooner than later.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
any body else notice the sloth in the pic? I guess thats what happens after too many chips!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
any body else notice the sloth in the pic? I guess thats what happens after too many chips!

Yep...too much honey mustard in.....
Equals wayyyyy too much honey mustard out.....
The sloth is a metaphor of what your gonna feel like after eating them.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I believe you Capt.
I have seen so many people who have said they have never even seen a M-Body Coupe in person.
Only in pictures.
In the early 80s you couldnt give away a Charger R/T, Road Runner, Super Bee.
and nice ones wouldnt even get 2,000.
Then look what happened, BOOM.
I have had my share of As Bs Cs Fs and now Ms over the years.
Thats why I am building the M-Coupes now. you cant even touch the
Charger R/Ts & Super Bees at a decent price anymore.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I believe you Capt.
I have seen so many people who have said they have never even seen a M-Body Coupe in person.
Only in pictures.
In the early 80s you couldnt give away a Charger R/T, Road Runner, Super Bee.
and nice ones wouldnt even get 2,000.
Then look what happened, BOOM.
I have had my share of As Bs Cs Fs and now Ms over the years.
Thats why I am building the M-Coupes now. you cant even touch the
Charger R/Ts & Super Bees at a decent price anymore.

Exactly.
On all counts.
On top of them still being affordable to pick up
They're only gonna go up in value.
The way the Aspen/Road Runners are now becoming "cool"
It's inevitable that the rest of the line will follow suit..
At least till the end of the RWD cars.
Believe it or not.....
Kids in my neighborhood always check out the Fifth.

kitcar Chris

Reaction score
i jus hope they don't break the grille in that car!!! Cause they can't find one!!

I agree with the capt. F's are climbing!! With that they bring the next gen with M!
I hope the F's stay cool, I've hoarded alot of parts over the years

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Ruffs Volare.jpg
i jus hope they don't break the grille in that car!!! Cause they can't find one!!

I agree with the capt. F's are climbing!! With that they bring the next gen with M!
I hope the F's stay cool, I've hoarded alot of parts over the years

I wonder what the grille looked like after crashing through the bill board.

Ruffs Volare.jpg

Last edited:

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
After looking closer its not the same car as on the poster.
The car crashing through the bill board has bumper guards
and horizonal lines in the grille, rather then little squares.

They may have used a 4 door for the crash scene,
since your only seeing the front.

Who knows? Frito Lay has plenty of money to
do what ever they want.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Sorry, Ed, I can't share your enthusiasm about the M becoming the next cool car.

The F-body, I'll agree on. The similarities with the A-body before it and some of the limited run cars, like the Super Coupe, give it some desirability, but the reputation even amongst Mopar fans in the know have held it back. The low quality sheetmetal used in the first couple of years, the smog era leading to the Road Runner and R/T packages being a stripe package, the relative low horsepower even on the performance packages, all that rubber in the suspension...

Of course, all that can be remedied with a few bolt-on's, we all know it.

The F-body's star is rising... to a certain extent. With the collector's market being economy driven I've seen V code E-bodies going for half what they were, making them a little more obtainable for someone still making a decent wage. '72-74 E-body project can be had for little to nothing now, even less than before the muscle car boom. Restored and gorgeous '71-'74 B-bodies can be had on the cheap. (There was a '71 340/4 speed Charger Rallye in triple black restored and gorgeous posted on FBBO not too long ago with a $16K asking price... and absolutely no takers.)

Of course, as the prices come down, the circle still goes on. With the lowering of prices you are also seeing the effects of an economy in flux. Even though this current administration is saying that there is no inflation, when actually there is: packaging is getting smaller for the price we're paying, to artificially keep prices low. That means it's actually taking more money to feed a family of four and that means that $16K Charger is still out of reach for the majority surviving on a $40-$50K a year salary.

But the project cars are getting affordable and with the vast number of parts on the market for A-, B-, and E-bodies, it makes for a project that's a little easier to put together, holding the F-body back a little more.

I'll believe the F-body has arrived when you start seeing the trickle of aftermarket parts that jumped started the A-body. A flood of sheetmetal, a selection of suspension components beyond just one of two suppliers, an aftermarket geared toward the F-body platform. All this is, and will, hold back the M- and J-'s. It'll be a long time coming before you see the M-'s and J-'s have a recognized and legitimate aftermarket support.

In the meantime, you'll have us die hards holding on to our platform and looking around at those who don't get it, shake our heads, and smile. It's a labor of love that keeps us scrounging the want ads, the junkyards, and beating the bushes for clean sheetmetal, trim, and interiors.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sorry, Ed, I can't share your enthusiasm about the M becoming the next cool car.

The F-body, I'll agree on. The similarities with the A-body before it and some of the limited run cars, like the Super Coupe, give it some desirability, but the reputation even amongst Mopar fans in the know have held it back. The low quality sheetmetal used in the first couple of years, the smog era leading to the Road Runner and R/T packages being a stripe package, the relative low horsepower even on the performance packages, all that rubber in the suspension...

Of course, all that can be remedied with a few bolt-on's, we all know it.

The F-body's star is rising... to a certain extent. With the collector's market being economy driven I've seen V code E-bodies going for half what they were, making them a little more obtainable for someone still making a decent wage. '72-74 E-body project can be had for little to nothing now, even less than before the muscle car boom. Restored and gorgeous '71-'74 B-bodies can be had on the cheap. (There was a '71 340/4 speed Charger Rallye in triple black restored and gorgeous posted on FBBO not too long ago with a $16K asking price... and absolutely no takers.)

Of course, as the prices come down, the circle still goes on. With the lowering of prices you are also seeing the effects of an economy in flux. Even though this current administration is saying that there is no inflation, when actually there is: packaging is getting smaller for the price we're paying, to artificially keep prices low. That means it's actually taking more money to feed a family of four and that means that $16K Charger is still out of reach for the majority surviving on a $40-$50K a year salary.

But the project cars are getting affordable and with the vast number of parts on the market for A-, B-, and E-bodies, it makes for a project that's a little easier to put together, holding the F-body back a little more.

I'll believe the F-body has arrived when you start seeing the trickle of aftermarket parts that jumped started the A-body. A flood of sheetmetal, a selection of suspension components beyond just one of two suppliers, an aftermarket geared toward the F-body platform. All this is, and will, hold back the M- and J-'s. It'll be a long time coming before you see the M-'s and J-'s have a recognized and legitimate aftermarket support.

In the meantime, you'll have us die hards holding on to our platform and looking around at those who don't get it, shake our heads, and smile. It's a labor of love that keeps us scrounging the want ads, the junkyards, and beating the bushes for clean sheetmetal, trim, and interiors.

I hear ya Robert...it's a long shot at this point in the game

BUT........

As insane as it sounds..
Ten years ago the only time you'd see an Aspen or Volare on TV would be a car destroying crash scene where they'd sacrifice "the sh!tbox because...well...who cares about an Aspen...
Now it's being touted as the "cool" car in this commercial.

The Edsel was like the plague when it was in it's second year
Now they're collectable

The 62 Dart was punked off as the ugliest car of 62
Now people want them.

Public opinion is generational...
Someone my age might listen to a 70's classic rock station because that's what we know to be cool music from our times.
Younger generations are now thinking the 80's were cool.
The generations that think/thought A,B,C and E was the sh!t will eventually be replaced by a generation that maybe thinks F's and M's are the bomb!
As far as the aftermarket catching on?
Hey Schumacher is already making engine swap kits for M's

My point being....
I'm not saying it'll happen tomorrow....but todays kids are the one's that are going to carry on the hobby.
And everytime I take my M's to a car show I'm always surprised at how many young people are drooling over the Caravelle....
A pipe dream?.....possibly
But as they say....time changes everything.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
it is also impossible to predict what will become popular/collectible. there was a Volkswagen Microbus in one of the Barrett Jackson auctions that brought around $20K. VW Things are bringing in some serious cash compared to what they would have brought about 10 years ago (i.e. nothing). Other cars, and only to use a personal favourite, that should be really collectible, like SVO Mustangs and Turbo Thunderbirds, can still be found at fairly cheap prices, even though they were fairly unique and very limited in production (especially so for the SVO Mustang).

As a personal opinion, I think that the J bodies will take off before the F and M bodies do. They are far lower in production quantities, many consider them sportier than the F and M bodies, and there were some interesting variations (Mirada CMX (particularly the first year 360 engined cars), and the Cordoba Crowns and LSes, along with the Imperial). Obviously. the attractiveness of any car is in the eye of the beholder, but most people have commented positively on my Mirada, which is a good sign.

Kostas

Last edited:
Back