Slant 6 muffler choices?

shadango

Reaction score
Wondering if there is a favorite muffler among you slant 6 owners ?

Need to replace the pipe between the cat and the muffler as well as possibly the tail pipe on our newly acquired 80 Volare.....

Figured we may as well look into what we can do as far as muffler....

Dont want it LOUD but is there an aftermarket muffler that will give the exhaust a nice trhoaty note and not be annoying?

Thanks all!

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Walker Super Dynomax mufflers sound pretty good. Not sure on a S6 but they sound nice on a V-8 and aren't too loud. Had one on my Dakota (3.9L V-6) and it had a low, throaty sound on that 6 cyl. I know, 90 degree V-6 and inline six aren't the same thing. It did have a drone in the cab at freeway speeds but it also has a high flow cat and is a truck, not a car. With a stock cat I have a feeling the drone would have been much less.
Anyways, that's been my muffler of choice for a long time now.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm not sure yet. The muffler on my Caravelle has been toast for a while. Definitely loud and throaty but that's because it almost doesn't exist anymore.
I was going to try a glasspack but as of yet I have no idea what it will sound like.

I should mention also that I don't have a cat on mine.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Captain,
Was that video taken starting from your residence?

I can’t be much help. This time last year, the muffler fell off of my ‘86 5th Ave, and the pipe afterwards. fell off shortly later. Been driving (granted, I don’t drive it in stop and go traffic unless windows are down) that way for a while and it just as quiet as anything else on the road is.

Before anyone else goes and does this - I must toss in the reason why - one (or more) of my three catalytic converters are stopped up. I have a fairly new exhaust to install - just got to get around to doing it.

In ‘87 Chrysler went to using stainless steel for exhaust system.

The recently replaced (before I purchased the vehicle) muffler on my station wagon is way too loud for my taste (in noise level and in drone).

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Captain,
Was that video taken starting from your residence?

I can’t be much help. This time last year, the muffler fell off of my ‘86 5th Ave, and the pipe afterwards. fell off shortly later. Been driving (granted, I don’t drive it in stop and go traffic unless windows are down) that way for a while and it just as quiet as anything else on the road is.

Before anyone else goes and does this - I must toss in the reason why - one (or more) of my three catalytic converters are stopped up. I have a fairly new exhaust to install - just got to get around to doing it.

In ‘87 Chrysler went to using stainless steel for exhaust system.

The recently replaced (before I purchased the vehicle) muffler on my station wagon is way too loud for my taste (in noise level and in drone).

No Sir. Semi close but I actually pulled over on a side street to start the video.

Also just to note.....the reason for my comment in the beginning is because that crazy old bastard in the mini van who goes by literally came within two inches of my car. :mad:

Coincidentally.....the tailpipe fell off my Fifth too and I'm also planning a new full exhaust. Right now the original pea shooter is in my trunk and will get a 2 1/4" from manifold to tailpipe. :D

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well that makes me concerned about the tailpipe on my 5th. Will have to check it when the mud dries. lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Also just to note.....the reason for my comment in the beginning is because that crazy old bastard in the mini van who goes by literally came within two inches of my car. :mad:
I had no comment, about any of your comments.

I’d rather see someone say a few words - than to chase a person down and get into a road rage episode. We don’t want to see you or your car on an issue of a police video TV show(s).

Well that makes me concerned about the tailpipe on my 5th. Will have to check it when the mud dries. lol
In ’86 (and older) Chrysler used mild steel for exhaust. In ’87 Chrysler went to stainless steel – which holds up longer from rust. Rust will still happen.

If you can jack your (any car) car up off of the ground enough to put jack stands first and yourself under (safety first), you can take a piece of wood (or something - a hammer handle works fine) and tap the exhaust system. It shouldn’t dent or rattle (like it has rust inside) on light to light moderate taps. If you see any holes (except for an 1/8” hole drilled on bottom rear of muffler), or if wood leaves any dents, or missing sections of exhaust before it exits at, or after, rear bumper – then you need to go see a muffler shop.

Any exhaust leak before the rear bumper is not good, because the fumes (carbon monoxide) can get inside of the car.
I understand the safety aspect – but I don’t understand how – if you have a rust free car, good weatherstripping and body seals are intact, how gases can get inside of the car is beyond me (my opinion only, no need to answer).

On the otherhand, if the car has a rusted out floorboard and/or weatherstripping is poor/missing (most of our cars may fall under this), I can see this to be a very big hazard.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The CO thing is because even a totally rust free car with brand new w/stripping is not air tight and that includes a new car with 7 miles on it. They might be water tight, but not air. Don't forget the drains at the bottom of the trunk floor extensions for example. Exhaust could also get in through the drains on the bottom of the doors if the exhaust exits under the body, and leak through the trim panels, etc.....

Wish I could get your video to play, Captain. Stupid "fast, reliable Frontier DSL" is anything but. Soon,,,,,,,,Charter Spectrum cable internet. I can't wait! Should go from an average of 0.38 Mbps (maybe 0.60 Mbps on a good day) to 30 Mbps.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The CO thing is because even a totally rust free car with brand new w/stripping is not air tight and that includes a new car with 7 miles on it. They might be water tight, but not air. Don't forget the drains at the bottom of the trunk floor extensions for example. Exhaust could also get in through the drains on the bottom of the doors if the exhaust exits under the body, and leak through the trim panels, etc.....

Wish I could get your video to play, Captain. Stupid "fast, reliable Frontier DSL" is anything but. Soon,,,,,,,,Charter Spectrum cable internet. I can't wait! Should go from an average of 0.38 Mbps (maybe 0.60 Mbps on a good day) to 30 Mbps.

Lol.....damn. I think you'd get a chuckle out of my screaming slant. :D

Aspen500

Reaction score
I proba
Lol.....damn. I think you'd get a chuckle out of my screaming slant. :D
I probably would! All I can get is that rotating circle thing and after 5 minutes of that, managed to see exactly 4 seconds of video before it started buffering again. Man, my internet SUCKS so bad.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Wow!
DSL......the pain.
It'd be fine if it ever worked at the 3-4 Mbps it's supposed to work at. Best I've ever seen is 1 Mbps. I've called them a dozen times over the years and finally just gave up and stopped. My DSL is more like dial up from 1992 or something. Why haven't I switched yet? Good question to be honest.

Justwondering

Reaction score
digital divide -- you are on the wrong side of it..and it is painful in todays internet dependent, business world

shadango

Reaction score
So we dropped the car off at my local shop and had them work the exhaust a little foir safety -- it was holey. New intermediate pipe and tailpipe --- had them put in 2" pipe. And a new Thrush Turbo muffler..... Not a ton louder, obviously...but it does now have a little more bark when you get on it.....I think this will be perfect for a while.....not so loud as to be annoying but a little more growl to make the boy happy. And Johnny Law wont be looking at him even harder due to noise. As an aside, we took a ride out and about after picking the car up from the shop.....one "thumbs up" from a passing vehicle, one shout-out across the gas station lot of "Hey nice car!" and one instance of someone pulling up along side us and shouting "Dude - nice car!". LOL The kid was thrilled. :)

Back