Slant 6 Won't Start

Zeph_L

Reaction score
I recently put new spark plug wires as well as a distributor cap and rotor on my Slant 6. However, now it will not start. It turns over, but refuses to work. I figured maybe it could be the coil and condenser, so I put on new ones. But still, no luck. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Check your firing order, check your rotor to make sure it's clocked right, check your cap to make sure it's on, burp the air out of all the wire boots to make sure they're actually on the plugs and terminals

Remow2112

Reaction score
Pull that cap off and make sure the rotor is still good. I have had a couple times where a new rotor did not get the metal fire part clamped fully and you could move it with your finger. It will cause a problem.

Does it sound like it is trying to start? Grab a spark plug and pull number 1 plug wire. Insert the plug and hold the hex of the plug against a ground and turn the motor over. Look for a spark.

When you put the plug wires on, did you feel them click onto the plugs?

AMCDiplomat is correct, check the firing order.

Zeph_L

Reaction score
Pull that cap off and make sure the rotor is still good. I have had a couple times where a new rotor did not get the metal fire part clamped fully and you could move it with your finger. It will cause a problem.

Does it sound like it is trying to start? Grab a spark plug and pull number 1 plug wire. Insert the plug and hold the hex of the plug against a ground and turn the motor over. Look for a spark.

When you put the plug wires on, did you feel them click onto the plugs?

AMCDiplomat is correct, check the firing order.
I had checked the plugs and wire, but I'll take a look at the rotor. I think that is likely my problem.

Aspen500

Reaction score
When an engine that started before it was worked on won't start afterwards, ask what changed. What I mean is, first suspect is one of the new parts. Remember, new just means new, it doesn't mean good. In the past few years that statement has become more and more true, unfortunatly.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
When an engine that started before it was worked on won't start afterwards, ask what changed. What I mean is, first suspect is one of the new parts. Remember, new just means new, it doesn't mean good. In the past few years that statement has become more and more true, unfortunatly.
To second this, there's a lot of problems with modern aftermarket caps and rotors. I had a noticeable improvement at idle with a NOS tan cap and a NORS holley rotor. The guy to contact is Halifax Hops. All he does is mopar distributors. He's on the other For_Bodies Only forums. He can sell you the exact cap and rotor you need

Halifax Hops

Reaction score
I have all the parts but lets get it figured out first. Electronic ign right? First thing check the ruluctor gap at each point should be .008=.010"

Back