small block 4bbl intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Much like the news, they edit out a lot of what you need to know. Why would Arrow tell you how to build your engine at home, when that's their bread and butter? "Sure, let me tell you the exact details so you have no reason to spend money with me!"

Those same shops are the ones that started the 302-casting head myth. No, they're not good heads.

My imp

Reaction score
It was the first closed heart shaped chambers head castings they were pushing. Weren't asking for secrets, he even bought some of the parts through them. It wasn't like he was going , or shipping his stuff to Mich. from Fla. I figured they used a thicker gasket to lower comp ratio, but when they said they milled the heads, not piston heads (I asked) to lower comp. my conversation was done.

My imp

Reaction score
How come these engines never get put in cars, or promised dyno run numbers? Things that make you go mmmmmm!

NoCar340

Reaction score
I love TV/magazine dyno tests. At best, they're running the water pump but definitely not an alternator loaded with the draw of the ignition system, or even an idling PS pump. And of course, we're all running an MSD Digital 8 ignition and some monster racing coil, right?

alf44

Reaction score
I love TV/magazine dyno tests. At best, they're running the water pump but definitely not an alternator loaded with the draw of the ignition system, or even an idling PS pump. And of course, we're all running an MSD Digital 8 ignition and some monster racing coil, right?

and we are all running monster headers that are 3 feet long and would cost a left nut to buy. a lot of those tests are using electric water pumps. tuned to a nats eyebrow carbs, and like you said spendy MSD ignitions.. wow... if i spend ALL that money i can have just the same engine for MY car !!!!

alf44

Reaction score
all im wanting is a good-clean running 318 that wont drink to much,, run cool,,build up cheap,, and can smoke em when i want to.... is that to much to ask these guys to do a engine build-dyno test that most of us could afford to build??

NoCar340

Reaction score
I think every dyno cell has one of those Moroso-style universal water-pump drives lying around...

My imp

Reaction score
all im wanting is a good-clean running 318 that wont drink to much,, run cool,,build up cheap,, and can smoke em when i want to.... is that to much to ask these guys to do a engine build-dyno test that most of us could afford to build??
Get a thermoquad properly sized & setup for your car. You get better economy with a spreadbore than a square bore, if you keep your foot out of the loud pedal. I have one on my 360 with an open element air cleaner. That thing at full throttle is music to my ears! I could listen to that all day long. But that's when your economy drops. When at light throttle, you're only running on the primaries (front 2 bbl's). The spreadbore obviously has smaller primaries than the square bore. The smaller TQ is an 750-800 cfm piece. That's more than enough for your 318. I love those things for a street/strip carb. Good power, great economy. As I have said, on my trips from Ohio to Va. Beach, I get a best of 24.5 mpg on the highway. The all around city/highway mileage is 17-19 mpg. I save all the receipts, figure out each tankful, then overall average. It's been the same within a mile or two a gallon depending on traffic. I set my cruise 7 mph over the posted limit. Rule of thumb I've always gone by, is 7 & under you're fine, 8 & above break out the wallet. So, no I don't set the cruise at 55 & putt along.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Yes a single plane will work on the street, but fuel distribution and atomization will not be as good at lower rpms. mpfi engines aren't affected by this because the fuel does not travel through the intake, it's injected at the port or sometimes direct injection.These are facts. The manifold manufacturers don't care if you buy single or dual plane. It is in their best interest to sell you what will work best for your combo/ intended application. Not everything is a conspiracy to con people. Seems like everyone likes to hate whatever company seems to be the most successful, reguardless of the product they sell...cars, computer software, tires, you name it.

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
Yep, you're right. Anyone worth their salt knows that. Don't hate the parts, just the attitude & price! I have Eddy parts on my car right now. I said I won't take them off, also said I won't pay their rediculously overpriced parts just to say its made in America. Their parts are no better, no worse than many parts out there. Just double or triple the price. That's my bone to pick.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I got a eddy intake for my 5th, got one for the 81 coupe im picking up, and I got eddy heads on my ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back