Smogging a Slant 6

Hubblehouses

Reaction score
Here's a strange question for all of you out there. I am looking at another M body, a 1979 with the Slant Six engine. It is from the midwest which probably means that it was not built California compliant back in the day. The vin does not indicate which 6 it has oher than the air cleaner having the Super Six sticker on it.. Does anyone know what would need to be done, if possible, so it would pass smog out here in the west?

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Yes! All the car has to do is pass emissions for the year and region it was produced. A car not originally sold in California does not need to meet California emissions standards. When I lived in Cali, I "imported" a Diplomat from Illinois. I had no issues with emissions. There was a bill to change the law to include less older cars, but it didn't pass. If you plan to register a car newer than model year 1975, you will have to pass smog. I have found it not to be that difficult. As I noted, you just have to pass the requirements that the car originally had to emit at the time of manufacture.

Hubblehouses

Reaction score
Yes! All the car has to do is pass emissions for the year and region it was produced. A car not originally sold in California does not need to meet California emissions standards. When I lived in Cali, I "imported" a Diplomat from Illinois. I had no issues with emissions. There was a bill to change the law to include less older cars, but it didn't pass. If you plan to register a car newer than model year 1975, you will have to pass smog. I have found it not to be that difficult. As I noted, you just have to pass the requirements that the car originally had to emit at the time of manufacture.
Thanks so much for the information! Really helpful.

Back