Snowflake wheels

lowbudget

Reaction score
So I finally have my wheels painted and tires mounted. They look sweet but what a masking nightmare. I soda blasted, sanded and polished the spokes. Then had to clean out the open parts with a scuff pad so the paint wouldn't fish eye. Then masking the spokes was the killer part. 3 days later and 25 x-acto blades later it was done, Shot the paint this morning and mounted the tires tonight. I'll get them balanced tomorrow, mount them up and get pictures. It would have been cheaper/faster just to buy new wheels but WTF they are one of a kind. Oh yeah I still have to do the final polish job after the paint cures in a few days.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Kudos Sir,
I'm big on saving rather than replacing.
Pics please when you can.
I wanna see these babies.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Hey Captain,
I figured I could have bought a set of used aftermarket wheels off another web site for $250.00 shipped. I got these for 150.00, 1 bag of soda 40.00, 1 day to blast paint/clearcoat off, 1 day to buff and polish spokes, 1 day to scuff, degrease centers, 2 days to mask and $75.00 for paint and supplies. It wouldn't be so bad if my back didn't ache from all the bending over while doing it. If I had known it was going to take so many days I would have just bought those other wheels. In fact I might buy the others for my Aspen wagon. Pictures to come

lowbudget

Reaction score
I wish they were done as I still have to run over to Colorado this week to pick another one up to run as a spare. I will have to repeat the whole process again. But I have learned a little so I think I can get it all done in a day. I was going grab it Sunday but it was raining and my buddies salvage yard would have been a muddy mess. This way I can do a 5 tire rotation which makes it so much easy when 1 person is doing it.

lowbudget

Reaction score
image.jpg
here you go
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
WOW! Those look AMAZING! Very inspirational. I wasn't the one doing the work, so it's easier for me to say, but I'd say it was all worth it. Those really MAKE that car! Great job!

DCAspen

Reaction score
Nice work,your wheels came out beautiful,I bet it all seems worth it now.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I happen to have a set that came with my coupe, was considering do this...may have to now

lowbudget

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I got it safety inspected and tagged today. I put new speakers in front and back. What a difference! I was going to install an aftermarket power antenna but decided to check out my friends salvage yard and try to get the right one. I need to get the rocker molding and another snowflake rim from him any way. I'll do it tomorrow or Saturday.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Those look awesome ! How many psi did you run when you did the soda blasting

I'm thinking 60 psi. If it every stops raining today I will be able to tell you as I picked up another to use as a spare so I can do a 5 tire rotation.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Yup it was set at 60 psi. I imagine the pressure depends on your soda blaster and nozzle size. I'm using a POS harbor freight blaster. It gets the job done but probably wastes a lot of soda compared to a good one.

Back