Speedometer gears

Camtron

Reaction score
looking for a new speedo gear with 32 teeth, I’ve come up with nothing.
I’ve had two 904/999 apart recently and they both used a plastic clip on speedo gear, like the red one photoed. In looking for a replacement, all I can find are a different style with a shaft and different style gear.

Does anyone know of a place to get these plastic clip on style speedometer gears for 904/999 transmissions?

IMG_7305.jpeg

IMG_7304.jpeg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Do you need a 32 or a 23 because I think that's a picture of a 23

Camtron

Reaction score
I need the 32. The black one is the correct 32 tooth (color coded for easy I.D.) the red one I photographed is the 23 tooth gear. Order is in with Brewster, they edge out the eBay listing by $10, lol
With 27” tires, you basically just go by the first 2 numbers from your rear end ratio to determine what you have or need for the transmission speedometer gear. So a 4.10 gear with 27” tires would have/need a 41 tooth gear for example and then you can add/subtract teeth to accommodate different tire sizes.
Hopefully this helps anyone else who’s changed gear sets or got taller or shorter tires.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
I converted my Mirada to the early style. It's much easier to find gears. The adapter is metal not plastic so it seems more durable. The cable needs to be changed to an earlier version. I needed a longer one for my 518 transmission swap so it was a good time to make the change.

Camtron

Reaction score
I converted my Mirada to the early style. It's much easier to find gears. The adapter is metal not plastic so it seems more durable. The cable needs to be changed to an earlier version. I needed a longer one for my 518 transmission swap so it was a good time to make the change.
Good to know. I just picked up a ‘80s 727 and haven’t looked it over too much, I’m curious what the speedometer gear is. I’ll look tomorrow.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If it has a metal gear housing it's the old style. If it's plastic it's new. There's no durability problem with either one but obviously the older style speedometer gears are a lot easier to find there's that...

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Well it's good to know converting the old style is possible.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Old style housing works in the later OD transmissions too. I did this when I swapped in a 500 and transferred that to the 518 later. Pulled it out of a first gen Dakota without cruise control and took the speedometer cable as it was long enough to reach.

Camtron

Reaction score
New speedometer gear arrived today.
Brewers included this chart for speedo gear selection so figured I’d share here.

IMG_7389.jpeg

Back