Starter issues (must read)

Interior and Electrical

1. mcm73

mcm73 Member

360/904 '76 RR. 904 recently rebuilt. It has a manual reverse valve body and aftermarket converter. After reinstalling trans and new b&m pro stick shifter of course came starter install. No issues prior to this. Now when trying to start about I revolution and started drags to a stop like battery may be down...not the case battery is fine. Here's the kicker...after a couple attempts to start the case of the push pull/trans cable is very warm yet nothing and I mean nothing else is even warm. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated

2. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

My first guess is you have a bad battery to engine ground. If the shift cable is getting warm or hot, it's trying to be the ground circuit.

Also, be sure you have a good body ground connection and for good measure, a ground strap between the engine itself and the body isn't a bad idea.

As a quick test, clamp a jumper cable to the engine and battery ground terminal and see how the starter behaves. If it's OK, then you know for sure it's a bad ground circuit.

3. mcm73

mcm73 Member

Thanks. I'll update soon.

4. mcm73

mcm73 Member

Aspen500 nailed it. Started right up. I cant believe i overlooked something so simple lol but thanks again for the eye opener. As soon as i read your reply i was like " im such a moron "

5. Aspen500

Good deal! As soon as you mentioned the shift cable heating up, it had to be a ground problem.

"I'm such a moron",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I've been there more than once:p

6. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

Im really surprised it didnt melt the insulation on the cable. Luckly it wasnt a higher end cable or it probably would of been red.

7. volare 77

volare 77 Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember a car being recalled for the shifter cable acting as a ground the cable would get welded or melted over time.

8. Aspen500

That sounds very familiar to me also. Thinking it may have been a Ford since I was a Ford dealer tech from '85-'07.....................Seems like the customer complaint was "the shifter moves hard".