Suggestions for flushing

ramenth

Reaction score
For really gold temperatures like we have up here, the correct mix for anti0freeze/water is 50:50, or sometimes, depeneding on the antifreese, 60:40. Yourr suggested mix will crack a block in most parts of Canada during the coldest months, and is also probably true of the northern US states.

Kostas

There's a reason it's called "coolant" as well as "anti-freeze."

Anything less than a 50/50 mix is not optimum coolant.

ramenth

Reaction score
Ed, optimal is 50/50 or 60/40. In very extreme cases you might be able to get away with 70/30, but again, the most extreme weather conditions. Even in those conditions, though, it's recommended to run 60/40 and run a block heater for over nights and a blanket on the grille to block some of the air while you're driving.

Ever see straight anti-freeze freeze in the winter? I have. Nights in the twenty to thirty below area will freeze coolant in the block, in the hoses, and in the radiator. Same can be said of 90/10 and 80/20. During the summer months you'll also see running temps creep up with those mixes. Same can be said with anything anything below 50/50.

Wanna know the reason why the coolant manufactures have a ready to use 50/50 mix, besides parting a person with his or her well earned money? Because it's the freaking optimum mix!

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Ed, optimal is 50/50 or 60/40. In very extreme cases you might be able to get away with 70/30, but again, the most extreme weather conditions. Even in those conditions, though, it's recommended to run 60/40 and run a block heater for over nights and a blanket on the grille to block some of the air while you're driving.

Ever see straight anti-freeze freeze in the winter? I have. Nights in the twenty to thirty below area will freeze coolant in the block, in the hoses, and in the radiator. Same can be said of 90/10 and 80/20. During the summer months you'll also see running temps creep up with those mixes. Same can be said with anything anything below 50/50.

Wanna know the reason why the coolant manufactures have a ready to use 50/50 mix, besides parting a person with his or her well earned money? Because it's the freaking optimum mix!

I usually run 50/50, just because it's easier, I won't throw away good money on premix, where it's $11 for a gallon, when you can get a gallon of un mixed for $13. I just take an old empty gallon container dump half of the straight coolant in, refill both bottles with water, and sharpie 50/50 on the tops.. idiot-proof

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I've seen winters colder than -30 followed summers over 100 with no cracked blocks or overheating, if you live outside those conditions, you may need to change your mix, usually the straight stuff will have a chart telling you what mixes work best at what temps

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Let it stay at -30 or colder for a while, and the blocks will crack with a non-optimal mix of coolant and water. I have seen more than one block crack due to incorrect coolant mix. There is nothing that can prevent water from freezing, the question becomes at what point. The whole idea of coolant is to drop the freezing point, and raise the boiling point of water to someplace that the car will never see. Same reason that cooling systems are pressurized (this is more for overheating). Its all related to what the conditions the car will have to work in. In some places, maybe freezing isn't an issue; most of them will have overheating issues in the summer. Up here, it can drop to -32C (not far from -26F) for weeks on end. if your coolant/anti-freeze mix is off, so that the freezing point of the coolant is not low enough, you will crack a block. It may not happen the first day, but it will happen; its not a question of if, but when. Considering that the cost is a couple of bottles of coolant and a couple of bottles of distilled water, it seems to be a bad place to try and save money.

Last edited:

Monkeyed

Reaction score
admittedly the -30s were the low, (and record ones at that) over 27 years of driving I've only ever cracked one block, and that was from driving to the parts store on my lunch hour with 0 coolant in, changing the radiator in the parking lot filling it with cold water/coolant and not letting it cool back off long enough before driving back to work..

at 30 below I've seen alcohol/ammonia/water turn to slush,

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Would you suggest I drain it and remix to 50/50?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have seen some coolants, right on the package, say 60/40 is optimal for lowest temperatures, and others (most) at 50/50. Read what it says on the bottle's label. Many will have a temperature scale, showing what mix is optimal for the coldest anticipated temperature. On those scales, usually 50/50 or 60/40 is the mix for the lowest temperatures at which the coolant will freeze. Lowest temperature goes up on either side of that, usually in a straight line.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have seen some coolants, right on the package, say 60/40 is optimal for lowest temperatures, and others (most) at 50/50. Read what it says on the bottle's label. Many will have a temperature scale, showing what mix is optimal for the coldest anticipated temperature. On those scales, usually 50/50 or 60/40 is the mix for the lowest temperatures at which the coolant will freeze. Lowest temperature goes up on either side of that, usually in a straight line.

I've long since chucked the bottles but I do have a tester.
Might be worth a test. Mind you at this point heat is going to be my biggest enemy.

super-p

Reaction score
I would do like jasper said with the freeze plugs I did it you'll be surprised at all the rust and crud that comes out.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Unless you have really soft water used distilled water as it is the hardness (calcium and magnesium) that plugs stuff up.

CM360

Reaction score
You will need to replace the plugs after this procedure. If it is in good to fair condition, put the water pump back on. Make a solution of 1 gallon of Dawn and the rest water to fill the block and radiator/ collection tank. No thermostat. Run the motor for almost 1 hour. Check the collection tank or radiator for progress. The surfactants in Dawn makes everything slippery and allows the detergent to work its way through the motor. This may take several cycles to dislodge the muck in the motor. When it seams that all is clear, mix a solution of washing soda(detergent aisle of supermarket) and fills the motor with it(you drained the motor already). Might take a few cycles. When all is clear add your distilled water anti-freeze. If you don't want to replace the freeze plugs add a good quality stop leak additive. I've done this on numerous occasions and it always works will junk yard motors.

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
not my thread but very informative thanks to all who have thrown there 2 cents in ,very informative stuff

Back