Super Six 2bbl to 4bbl Conversion Help

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay guys....
I just got an Offy 4bbl intake and want to do a 2 to 4bbl swap on the Caravelle
Of course...I've never done this and am trying to get a grocery list of all the things I'll need
And what to do with it all when I do.
Had anyone ever done this or have any insight into what I'll need and what I'll need to do?

As far as I've read I'm looking for a 390 cfm.

Any help, resources, etc is greatly appreciated.

The idea is to keep it as stock appearing as possible
Thanks in advance...

slant6billy

Reaction score
My dad had some info (not in electronic format) that I'll have to look for. What I do remember, was we treated it as if it was a 318 with a small 4bbl. Mine was a super six manifold with an adapter, so I was cheating on the stock look. We did eliminate the EGR and it was no a spark/ lean burn car, so it was just a regular electronic 5 wire ignition. As for the trans kickdown- that too was hacked. I believe there is an adjustable trans link out there nowadays. I did find stuff recently on my other computer, which I can't get until Sunday. By then, i'd be late to the dance. Good luck.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My dad had some info (not in electronic format) that I'll have to look for. What I do remember, was we treated it as if it was a 318 with a small 4bbl. Mine was a super six manifold with an adapter, so I was cheating on the stock look. We did eliminate the EGR and it was no a spark/ lean burn car, so it was just a regular electronic 5 wire ignition. As for the trans kickdown- that too was hacked. I believe there is an adjustable trans link out there nowadays. I did find stuff recently on my other computer, which I can't get until Sunday. By then, i'd be late to the dance. Good luck.

Thanks Billy...
And no you definitely won't be late to the dance.
I'm compiling my shopping list now
Then I'm gonna buy up all the stuff I need and probably start hitting this over the winter so....lots of time.
Anything you can shoot my way for info would be more than appreciated.
I did find a kickdown setup on eggbay.
I don't wanna go racing...just a street slant with some bite.
Thanks greatly.

slant6billy

Reaction score
i'll also keep an eye and ear out while walking Carlisle

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Doing a little dreaming....
2013-07-11 19.40.45-1-1.jpg

2013-07-11 19.40.45-1-1.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yes sir. That Edelbrock is the way. I hear folks getting more out of holleys, but as you stated you want street reliability with some extra go. Put an Edelbrock on my friends 318 recently. I believe it is a 500 cfm. For fuck sake that Edelbrock was ready at bolt on. PS, it was used too. It came from a GM 305 that ran like crap with no balls. That 318 is a screaming banshee now like never before. I'm a believer in Vic's carbs now for sure.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yes sir. That Edelbrock is the way. I hear folks getting more out of holleys, but as you stated you want street reliability with some extra go. Put an Edelbrock on my friends 318 recently. I believe it is a 500 cfm. For fuck sake that Edelbrock was ready at bolt on. PS, it was used too. It came from a GM 305 that ran like crap with no balls. That 318 is a screaming banshee now like never before. I'm a believer in Vic's carbs now for sure.

Sweet!...
Only problem is that's a 600cfm 1405....too big.
I'm gonna try to trade it to the carb shop I know for a 390
I was thinking a Carter or a Holley.
The Edelbrock needs a rebuild.....hoping they do me a good deal with the swap. That's if they go for it.

Decided I'm going with headers....makes sense.
And found the kickdown from Summit.

tim berry

Reaction score
i dont know if clifford performance is still in business but if they are thats where i would start

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Clifford is still around at cliffordperformance.net. They have an insane looking dual weber setup (not cHeap), and a 6 cylinder header setup that looks like 2 headers of 3 cylinders each. Very cool stuff.

They also have a note on setting up Holley 390s near the bottom of one of their pages.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Clifford is still around at cliffordperformance.net. They have an insane looking dual weber setup (not cHeap), and a 6 cylinder header setup that looks like 2 headers of 3 cylinders each. Very cool stuff.

They also have a note on setting up Holley 390s near the bottom of one of their pages.

Kostas

Oh yeah....I've been looking at these.

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/...Code=CP&Product_Code=55-0010&Category_Code=MY

Found a set at Summit too.

But I didn't see that part about setting up a 390
I'd like to read that for sure.
55-0010_300-1.jpg

55-0010_300-1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Captain Caravelle:

The info is at the bottom of the front page of the Clifford site. You need to go down all the way to the bottom, and its a long page.

It reads as follows: (Not me writing this, taken directly from Clifford's front page)

JETTING YOUR NEW HOLLEY 390 CFM 4 BRL CARB.
225-260 cu. in. 8.5 POWER VALVE .031 (tube type) DISHCHARGE NOZZLE .048 MAINS
292-300 cu. in. 8.5 power valve .035 (tube type) discharge nozzle .052 mains.

According to the Clifford site, it is a baseline to get started with, but should be close enough to get you going. You can adjust from this baseline as required.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Captain Caravelle:

The info is at the bottom of the front page of the Clifford site. You need to go down all the way to the bottom, and its a long page.

It reads as follows: (Not me writing this, taken directly from Clifford's front page)

JETTING YOUR NEW HOLLEY 390 CFM 4 BRL CARB.
225-260 cu. in. 8.5 POWER VALVE .031 (tube type) DISHCHARGE NOZZLE .048 MAINS
292-300 cu. in. 8.5 power valve .035 (tube type) discharge nozzle .052 mains.

According to the Clifford site, it is a baseline to get started with, but should be close enough to get you going. You can adjust from this baseline as required.

Kostas

Thanks Kostas,
Doesn't show up on my stupid smartphone.
Must be the useless mobile version.
Thanks for the info
I'll pass it on to the carb shop.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Captain Caravelle:

I was looking at this on a PC, so it may be a browser related issue.

I take it you have located a Holley 390, or the carb shop did the trade? Is the carb shop experienced with Thermoquads? I think the Thermoquad in my 1980 Cordoba could stand to be rebuilt/refurbed, and would prefer to use somebody that has been recommended.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Captain Caravelle:

I was looking at this on a PC, so it may be a browser related issue.

I take it you have located a Holley 390, or the carb shop did the trade? Is the carb shop experienced with Thermoquads? I think the Thermoquad in my 1980 Cordoba could stand to be rebuilt/refurbed, and would prefer to use somebody that has been recommended.

Kostas

I haven't officially found one yet.
But I've been talking to a carb shop that was highly recommended by a guy who really knows his stuff. He's the same guy who did the rebuild and setup on the BBD on the Volare.

My imp

Reaction score
DemonSizzler is recommended on all the sights. I've not personally used his services, however I tried to purchase parts for my TQ (he doesn't sell parts), but prices are very reasonable.

My imp

Reaction score
Duh, his address is "demonsizzler1@netzero.net", his name is Dave. He sells entire carb.'s, at one point in time he told me of a six with a TQ he built. Drop him a line, if anyone knows, it's him.

Back