Surviving the eastern Ice Storm.

mirada80

Reaction score
Just wondering how others made out during the ice storm that hit eastern Canada and New England.
My sister place and my my in-laws have been with out power since Dec 23, I was lucky I didn't lose power until yesterday, hope to get it back tonight or tomorrow. It's been a long haul, anyone else have any stories? I have a few pictures from the morning of the 23third, I'll post when I get power again. But being from Atlantic Canada, this is what winter is.

tim berry

Reaction score
you guys got hit pretty hard . hope you have the mopar generator set for back up power

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have moved out west, but grew up in Montreal. The 4 day ice storm happened in 1997/1998 there. I was living in Winnepeg at at the time (mot exactly a picnic in the winter either), but my brother was in Montreal, the South Shore to be exact. He lost power for over a month, and while he had gone over to his in-laws until power got restored, the roof on his house caved in. It was covered by insurance, but took another six weeks until they could move back in.

Ice storms are the worst of winter, it is not only impossible to drive, it is impossible to walk most of the time.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Kind of like this...
Still people here with no power...
I got off easy...we never went out but it was nasty.
Tree limbs down all over...big car crusher one's too.
Just got all the ice off my Fifth yesterday...

index-15.jpg

index-22.jpg

index-17-1.jpg

index-13.jpg

index-20-1.jpg

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Winter sucks. Was cold all week here in Jersey. Today hit 55° F.... go figure. Gonna be wet and cold tomorrow.... so no draggin any mopars out. Now, if i can find where I left my timing light or who did I lend it to? I can't remember anything. Stay warm friends

mirada80

Reaction score
Back at work today, have internet access again...
NBPower website has me estimated to get power back on New Years Eve.....Happy New Year to me... There's still about 10,000 homes out of power here in southern New Brunswick.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 8500 watt generator for Huricane season here that I have never used. I suggest everyone have one even if they never use it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Back at work today, have internet access again...
NBPower website has me estimated to get power back on New Years Eve.....Happy New Year to me... There's still about 10,000 homes out of power here in southern New Brunswick.

I don't know what the number is right now but we still have a fair number of people with no juice here....hopefully yours comes back sooner than they said.

Hey Eric.....I'm actually planning on moving more north. :icon_mrgreen:

My imp

Reaction score
I'm moving back south when the wife retires! I can always put pictures of snow (a la fat head style) the size of my front window to enjoy Christmas.

alf44

Reaction score
we had a few days of warm 40 degree days here untill today, sunday 29.. now very windy, cold ,about 0 now and supposed to be 15 below tonite,, im glad we are not getting that ice here

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Going down to 10° overnight and right now it's very windy.
Peel the skin off your face windy.
But.....no ice and no snow so I ain't complaining.

My imp

Reaction score
Mut be global warming, the past couple of days have been in the 50's! If my damn back was doing any better I'd have been outside scraping, & painting the garage! lol

My imp

Reaction score
Woke up to 2" of snow @ 17 degrees! Like they say, if you don't like Cleveland weather, wait 15 minutes, it'll change!

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I have a 8500 watt generator for Huricane season here that I have never used. I suggest everyone have one even if they never use it.

X2, I got a 6500Watt Tri-Fuel Generator that runs off of Propane, Natural Gas or Gasoline.
No standing on line for gasoline when I got an endless supply of Natural Gas.

slant6billy

Reaction score
MiradaMegacab- did you have that before Sandy or after? Sandy missed me in south Jersey, but folks north, east and west of me got tagged hard. My sister did not listen to me about the back wiring of a portable generator into her house breaker box. So she and her husband were loaned a 1500 watt generator from a neighbor. Good intentions all around. I put out a warning to all my friends and family about "asking me first" before doing such an action. ( I kind of sized generators for about 8 1/2 years - load calcs & such). So, as she save her fridge food from spoiling the first few days, the outdoor temp dropped and she got some light snow. Her house heat kicked on. The added load pulled that little 1500 watt generator down and the amperes when up. Thus, the fridge motor fried as well other types of undervoltage damage incurred. Not to mention it was a gasoline generator that ran like crap and spewed exhaust ugly. Afterwards: new fridge bought and other repairs, she got consumer reports on generators and all listed 1800 to 2500 models as the way to go. Again, never asking for my opinion. Finally around Easter, She asked, "what do you think?" I blasted the hell out of her. The news showed all those people waiting in line for gasoline. Gasoline that would last no more than a few hours. Now she does not have piped in gas. she has a big propane tank in the yard. I suggested Diesel and got the look of death. Never followed up with her on the subject. I imagine a 2200 gas generator was the choice- though.

That trifuel of yours got to be the smartest choice- outside of a diesel. In winter the Diesel might not want to play- so Nat gas is got to be the way.

Back