Suspension parts?

Gorm2297

Reaction score
Hey guy so this may be a bit of an over asked question but I just can't seem to find the answer. I have a 1978 Plymouth volare with the torsion bar front suspension. Where in the world can I find new/interchangeable control arms? All I've been able to find is bushing to "rebuild" my control arm and for the life of me I can not get the pivot bar bolts loose. Any help would be appreciated.

Gorm2297

Reaction score
I looked up the firm feel products and almost all Im seeing is tubular and a reinforcement plate. I'm trying to find an upper control arm that matches the factory one

IMG_20231209_200626.jpg

Gorm2297

Reaction score
The nuts for the pivot bolt, I've tried every thing I have. Heat, plus a 4ft Parker bar in a vise and it didn't move. Asking with the ball joint. I ended up rounding the end of the ball joint actually.

Camtron

Reaction score
You should be able to get them off. Good penetrating oil like, deep creep or kroil, let it sit for a day, spray it again and hit it with an impact or cheater bar.
Parts car or upgrade to tubular. Rare Parts used to stock complete upper control arms for $130 but have been out of stock for some time. They have lowers listed available; for whatever that’s worth to anyone who may read this.
They also have upper and lower ball joints and most replacement bushings available. At a time, they even made a pivot shaft that added extra caster/camber adjustment. Don’t seem to anymore. Maybe worth giving them a call anyway. Never hurts.

I myself have the tubular bars from FirmFeel (and the aforementioned Rare Parts Pivot shafts), worth every penny. Really clean up the feel and handling at speeds. You’d be surprised how much flex those factory upper control arms have in them.

Rare Parts: Products

Last edited:

Gorm2297

Reaction score
I myself wouldn't mind going with the upgrade but my dad is wanting to try and stick with stock as much as possible. We did find these online but they say voyager. They look REALLY similar but that is just an online pic. Has anyone tried these?

Screenshot_2023-12-11-16-41-19-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

AzDrew

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust those, I would see if you can't find an image with them as they are, that say they are from a Aspen or volare, or an M body. There's definitely not reproduction ones out there unless they are the ones mentioned up above.

AzDrew

Reaction score
It might be worth looking into the different vehicles that make up f and m bodies and see if there are any at a junk year near you

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The nuts for the pivot bolt, I've tried every thing I have. Heat, plus a 4ft Parker bar in a vise and it didn't move. Asking with the ball joint. I ended up rounding the end of the ball joint actually.
A very large tray, lot of Evaporust, and 3 weeks of soaking, turning them over and brushing the crud off every couple days

Gorm2297

Reaction score
I honestly just didn't know if maybe got lucky and those might have worked. I would think that this suspension was used on more vehicles that just the Aspen an volare. I'm going to start soaking the control arm of mine, possibly buy just the passenger side and see how it matches up.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I myself wouldn't mind going with the upgrade but my dad is wanting to try and stick with stock as much as possible. We did find these online but they say voyager. They look REALLY similar but that is just an online pic. Has anyone tried these?

View attachment 51564

Don't ours need ones with the big gap to fit the shock through? Doesn't look like those will fit.
If anything Durango ones look more like theyd work but you'd need to compare whatever you try because any minor difference can throw the geometry off.
I'm pretty sure the proper ones used to be pretty readily available.

69-

Reaction score
For the balljoints you need a special nut. Then penetrating oil and an impact. I did them on my charger (53 years of crust) and my '79 MB400 (thats the same as for the pb300 Voyager, and yes they don't fit).

Used a makita cordless impact. Took some 30-60 seconds until the ball joint moved.

Camtron

Reaction score
Those voyager control arms won’t work. You’re right, they used the same control arms on multiple cars…Volare, Aspen, Miranda’s, Cordoba, Gran Fury, Diplomat, Fifth Avenues, Caravelle, lebaron…there’s a number of parts that are only available from other part cars. Stock control arms are one of those parts. Don’t bother throwing van parts at it, take your time, you’ll find the right stuff.

Camtron

Reaction score
Heck, if the nuts have caused this big an issue, getting the old bushings and shafts out without bending/spreading the control arms will be a whole other problem.

80mirada

Reaction score
Take a wire wheel to the exposed threads and then soak with a good penetrating oil, soaking couple times a day for a day or two. Clamp the shaft in the vise and use the strongest impact wrench you can find. My old composite Ingersoll 1/2 was perfect for the job when I did mine.

Back