T-bars: anchors...is there a "more" correct install?

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
So here is the weird thing: the t-bar hex end anchors have a visible assymetric shape to the anchor "ears" that the adjuster bolt itself hooks into (see 1st pic).

It would appear that one side is pretty flat, while the other side has a rounded cut-out, the implication here being (my thinking): it is probably intended to avoid some kind of interference during the install.

Having said that, because of how these actually mount on the t-bars it would appear that regardless of which anchor I put on which bar, the end result is always the same (see additional pics).

I went through my '80 & '81 parts books, in both cases the anchors are part# 4094070, and there is no difference between either side (so the assembly requires 2 pcs of that part).

What's causing my hesitation here is the fact that my coupe was stripped down and re-assembled...ohhh...about a solid 20-25 yrs ago, and quite honestly I had spare parts from about three different F/M body cars as that time, some being '79 & '78 vintage, so perhaps these t-bar anchors are actually pre-'80 model year pieces? (and could have been different for those years?)

Soooo...before I drive myself crazy about this, can anyone elaborate on what I've noticed here?

mpar_tbar_anchors.jpg

mpar_tbar_anchors_drvr.jpg

mpar_tbar_anchors_pass.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yours are newer. The earlier f-s are a bit different and have a plug in the end where yours do not.

Again, im no expert on which might be better. One thing I have noticed is the bean counters were always on duty looking for ways to make a part cheaper but still keep the function and so on the FMJ cars some parts are better and some are lesser but still do the same job correctly.

This is a file pic but I could grab an actual one for better pics.

Dont overthink it, slap them puppies on your new bars and have fun.

thumbnail_20180625_152343_resized.jpg

Here is a better look at the older. Shows the pressed in end cap. This is flush on the outside and the inside. Looks like the outward dimples on yours keeps it centered?

Anyways this illustration shows a good bit of the old. I think ive seen some later 77s have next updated version but im wrong often.

RR109.jpg

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Yours are newer. The earlier f-s are a bit different and have a plug in the end where yours do not.

Again, im no expert on which might be better. One thing I have noticed is the bean counters were always on duty looking for ways to make a part cheaper but still keep the function and so on the FMJ cars some parts are better and some are lesser but still do the same job correctly.

This is a file pic but I could grab an actual one for better pics.

Dont overthink it, slap them puppies on your new bars and have fun....
Great info, thank you!

You know, both my '80 and '81 parts books still show that earlier style anchor with the plug.

Anyways, yeah you got it, no sense overthinking it, although given the total cost of the FirmFeel bars I didn't want to take any chances, regardless of how much what I have here just seemed to "fit one way only"...LOL

I will be tossing these back in the coupe this weekend...need to get my 2nd rear tire re-mounted on the wider rim and who knows...maybe in another week or so I might actually see a little street time after all!

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I was just sorting and found a bit more. First pic is late 77 other is manual showing the earlier.

Baaaaa even us little wallet guys can get the FF bars.... small potatoes in the big picture.

:cool:

7584.jpg

FSusp008.jpg

FSusp010.jpg

IMG_20231019_195548808.jpg

Back