tbi to carb

mopops

Reaction score
can't get a 2bbl manifold to use ,so can i use a 2bbl carb adapter on my 81 Imp tbi manifold? i have not been able to get a manifold thats why i ask tks

mopops

Reaction score

Camtron

Reaction score
I have a raw aluminum version of one of these intakes sitting on a 5.9mag I started putting together before I had surgery.

https://www.assaultracing.com/item/1213398-sbm-intake-air-gap-polished?category=8104

Their surprisingly nice pieces if you can get past them being made in, China.
Drilled to mount to LA and Magnum heads, under $300, leaves money in the pocket for a decent carb with electric choke and vacuum secondaries

Brawler FRBR-67253 570 CFM Brawler Diecast Carburetor Vacuum Secondary-Factory Refurbished

...EdelBrock, for example, hasn’t had intakes available for our cars in about a year give or take.

I don’t know anything about the TBI intakes to know if a adapter would work.

mopops

Reaction score
I have a raw aluminum version of one of these intakes sitting on a 5.9mag I started putting together before I had surgery.

https://www.assaultracing.com/item/1213398-sbm-intake-air-gap-polished?category=8104

Their surprisingly nice pieces if you can get past them being made in, China.
Drilled to mount to LA and Magnum heads, under $300, leaves money in the pocket for a decent carb with electric choke and vacuum secondaries

Brawler FRBR-67253 570 CFM Brawler Diecast Carburetor Vacuum Secondary-Factory Refurbished

...EdelBrock, for example, hasn’t had intakes available for our cars in about a year give or take.

I don’t know anything about the TBI intakes to know if a adapter would work.
i have every thing but a manifold, that seems to be non avaliable, so i want to use my 2bbl carb on the factory TBI manifold. wondering if it can work well?

Camtron

Reaction score
i have every thing but a manifold, that seems to be non avaliable, so i want to use my 2bbl carb on the factory TBI manifold. wondering if it can work well?
Pull your TBI and take some measurements. If the bolt holes and plenum of your TBI intake match up to the adapter you’re looking at, should be able to make it work out.

mopops

Reaction score
Pull your TBI and take some measurements. If the bolt holes and plenum of your TBI intake match up to the adapter you’re looking at, should be able to make it work out.
trying to get all my ducks in a row before i disable car in driveway tks

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Look on car-part.com for random parts and start calling the yards that have the cars. It's not that hard to find a 2bbl manifold.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The problem is cost to ship a cast iron intake. Not so much the size as the sheer weight.
Most scrap yards are on the National salvage locator and a local one may be able to get an intake from another yard somewhere. Shipping to your local yard is much cheaper than, for example, me to you. Might be worth a shot anyways. I'm not aware of a tbi to carb adaptor.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the tbi manifold but, is there enough meat to drill and tap holes for a 2bbl carb base? Just a random thought anyways.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The problem is cost to ship a cast iron intake. Not so much the size as the sheer weight.
Most scrap yards are on the National salvage locator and a local one may be able to get an intake from another yard somewhere. Shipping to your local yard is much cheaper than, for example, me to you. Might be worth a shot anyways. I'm not aware of a tbi to carb adaptor.

Do a search for one within driving distance or call some yards and see what they come up with. Quite a few of them can bring something in thru their network for little to no shipping cost.
Or stick a want ad on Craigslist or Facebook or whatever. There are probably tons out there sitting in people's scrap piles.

Camtron

Reaction score
I just found some cast iron LA 2barrel manifolds on eBay, but for the $200+ people are asking for them, I’d personally grab an aluminum intake. Save your back doing the work, could still use an adapter on it if you wanted to run the 2 barrel parts that you have on hand.
It’s easy to start over thinking this stuff and make things harder than it needs to be.

mopops

Reaction score
I just found some cast iron LA 2barrel manifolds on eBay, but for the $200+ people are asking for them, I’d personally grab an aluminum intake. Save your back doing the work, could still use an adapter on it if you wanted to run the 2 barrel parts that you have on hand.
It’s easy to start over thinking this stuff and make things harder than it needs to be.
i think they call it keep it stupid ,simple

Ele115

Reaction score
This is what I would do. I am using a crate motor 350 in an Astro van and it came complete 4 barrel and everything. I run a TBI and use a 2V adapter with the bores matched on the intake that it shipped with, that made it easy. Make it easier, not harder. People think these iron 2V intakes are gold. You can get an aluminum one for what they want for them, and later you can use just about any 4BBl carb anyway.

Ele115

Reaction score
With an aluminum intake, just watch that it would have the thermostat housing in the correct spot and the bosses for the A/C compressor supports. Some do, some don't. The ones that are pretty much exact aluminum copies of the factory 4 barrel intakes are usually going to be the best for this stuff, and no so desirable for "racing". These would look really stock once you painted them blue

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '81-83 Imperial TBI and the '86-93 318 TBI intakes are the same. The '86-92 360 (pickup/van/Dakota) TBI intake is similar but uses the larger 360 intake ports. The V6 pickups/vans/Dakotas also have a V6 version of the same 318 intake - but heard most (if not all) other V6 FI parts will fit the 318 TBI intakes. That said, I beleive you are looking for the '79-89 2-bbl version car (or '79-85 pickup/van/Dakota) intake
There was 2 or 3 of the later (pre-Magnum) 318 (cast iron) intakes at a close by pull-a-part - but they only had one 2-bbl 318 intake there (for the '78 and older 318's (wider and more centered thermostat - which is not ideal for the aluminum C-171 A/C compressor).
Even if they had one, I wouldn't be looking forward to pulling it off of the vehicle nor carrying it from vehicle all the way up front (need someone with a better back than I).

Personally, an aluminum 4-bbl intake, like the Edelbrock 2176 for example, would be the way to go. At that point, a person could get an adapter to install a 2-bbl (or a small 4-bbl). This intake can be located used and once painted - it looks original (if a person wanted to paint it, that is). Also, installing an intake, while leaning over the hood, your back would much prefer the aluminum over cast iron.
The 2176 has both size thermostat flanges and thermostat is offset so it can fit either the iron RV2 compressor or the aluminum C-171 A/C compressor.

To help, here is a '79 (and newer LA vs, '78 (or older) LA:
79 360 2 intake.jpg
75 360.jpg

Here is a TBI intake vs Edelbrock 2176:
88 318 FI.jpg
Edelbrock 2176.jpg

I hope this helps.
BudW

mopops

Reaction score
yes it helps , i ordered the correct 2bbl manifold and will be starting the change over. iam sure there will be more issues with dash gauges (electronic ) but if i can get connectors to match up with the dash harness in the car ill just use regular over the counter gauges ones. do you know of a source for connectors that would be for the dash side to plug in to the car harness, that would save cutting n splicing. as always thank you Bud

Back