Thermoguard fit questions

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I finally got a battery and the Thermoguard installed yesterday in my 1980 Cordoba. The battery is a 7 m0nth old Group 65 battery that I had left over when I scrapped my 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. I bought new J bolts, and got the battery and Thermoguard on. It seems like the Thermoguard is somewhat taller (3/4"-1") than the battery, and is creating a problem with the battery cables having to be bent downwards to fit onto the battery terminals. Is this something that is due to the battery, having the incorrect Thermoguard, or have I just not put it on correctly? I have checked the Themoguard vent fit with the opening in the grille/radiator support, and it seems to line up. I have also checked around the bottom edge of the Thermoguard, and it seems to be outside of the battery tray all around.

I got the Thermoguard from an Ebay seller, a very nice guy.

If I need to, i suppose I could cut down the Thermoguard at the bottom.

Kostas

BHA43

Reaction score
need a 24 or 27 batt. but some new ones are made with hums etc. that wont fit the T-guard too well anyway. I put a new Mopar 27 in the 43 car & it fit fine! They make repops for big $.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
So what I am getting is that the battery is too low in height. Instead of replacing it, I think I will just get a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the tray, and go that way. The current battery is in almost new condition, and has way more current capacity (850 CCA) than the one called out in the manual, that throwing it away in order to get a taller battery seems silly. The battery is a nice tight fit length and width wise. aside from the height.

Thanks for the suggestion alfatar.

The car also has the honking big Mopar 100A alternator already in place, so no need to retrofit one.

Kostas

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Plywood is a good cheap fix, or maybe go with some pvc trim so it wont hold water or rot.

BHA43

Reaction score
It depends on the shape of the top of the batt too! I tried that before I bought the Mopar one & for what ever reason it wouldn't work with the used batt I had?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Battery fits fine, checked it outside the before putting it in. jasperjacko had a good point about moisture absorption, I think I will paint the insert with a water seal and outdoor paint before I put it in.

Did manage to find the BCI battery manual on line. The Group 65 battery is actually just over 1 1/4" shorter than a Group 27 battery. I'm just going to use some 3/4" plywood glued to a 1/2" piece, water sealed and painted. Should be close enough to work.

Kostas

Back