this is what i'm busy with

9secRR

Reaction score
When will it end!! Lol I’m gonna be a busy man the next few months. 3 engines in my garage all getting worked on.
The 355” W2 in my car won’t take long. I pulled the intake to check the cam and lifters. All is good. Half a day and that’s done.
My aluminum W8 engine is in pieces for a bit. Waiting on the crank from the machine shop. Hopefully in a few months. Once I get the crank back I can start assembly.
The R3 W9 shown in the pictures is a buddy’s engine. I have all the parts to assemble. Clean everything and put together.
Once that’s done, I’ll run it on the run stand to make sure it doesn’t have any leaks. If it’s all good, dyno session will be booked.

There is over 2000 HP sitting in my garage. Good feeling to have.

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
When will it end!! Lol I’m gonna be a busy man the next few months. 3 engines in my garage all getting worked on.
The 355” W2 in my car won’t take long. I pulled the intake to check the cam and lifters. All is good. Half a day and that’s done.
My aluminum W8 engine is in pieces for a bit. Waiting on the crank from the machine shop. Hopefully in a few months. Once I get the crank back I can start assembly.
The R3 W9 shown in the pictures is a buddy’s engine. I have all the parts to assemble. Clean everything and put together.
Once that’s done, I’ll run it on the run stand to make sure it doesn’t have any leaks. If it’s all good, dyno session will be booked.

There is over 2000 HP sitting in my garage. Good feeling to have.

View attachment 51530

View attachment 51531

View attachment 51532
That short engine stand on the picker legs is genius. Talk about space saving!

9secRR

Reaction score
W2, W8, and W9. R3 W9 is cleaned. Pretty much ready to start assembly. Head gaskets and bearings showed up Wednesday. Think that’s all I need.

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Angle Of Approach - meaning, the angle at which the intake runner is designed to mate up (clarified per kkritsilas' comments below) approach the head. In other words, it is NOT the angle at which the intake manifold runner/face attaches to the head. Rather this is all about the angle the runner itself is designed. Sorry, I should have used better words than "mate up", as that too often implies the mechanical connection between an intake and the engine head.

The general idea there being - fluid dynamics, etc. (which is waaaayyyy over my head) - to provide the moving air mass with a 'straight-shot' into the chamber, well, as straight as possible that is given the pretty good turn it still needs to make.

Anyways, if you compare the runners in various intakes, you'll note that the runners take a progressively more aggresive approach into the head.

For a poor man's compare take a peek at these:

1) FRONT

2) REAR

Last edited:

9secRR

Reaction score
Whole 'nother level
yes these W8 W9 headed small blocks are something else. my W2 is very mild compared to these engines. can't wait to hook up the W9 to the dyno. should make over 700. if i had extra money, i would like to dyno the W8, but i can't see that happening.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
c'mon, spill the beans: so what are the specs here? (unless of course it's that "race secret" stuff, in which case I completely respect that)

btw: I genuinely am curious about the clearances you are running, assembly specs, etc.

9secRR

Reaction score
I can’t really say the specs. It’s not my engine so I better not say. Lol I’m just putting it together for him.

When I put my W8 together I’ll share all the specs

9secRR

Reaction score
It was a bit busy in the garage today. Working on both engines since I’ve had no time for a while.

All the parts are here for both engines. Only thing stopping me now is finding time to assemble.

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0543.jpeg

9secRR

Reaction score
Sadly I have to put the aluminum block aside in order to get the R3 done. Got lots done today, close to having it finished and on the run stand.

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

Back