Throttle cables

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
More or less curious on who runs what for a throttle cable. I lost or tossed my original out, when I was rebuilding the motor and bought a aftermarket one from the local parts store. It seems to bind up in the sleeve, but im also under the impression its the tight bends that aren't helping either. Also has anyone repositioned the cable so its not directly behind the cylinder head? Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

Camtron

Reaction score
I use a Lokar throttle cable. Easy install, they offer the Chrysler correct throttle stud and various brackets for mounting from cheaper universal brackets to billet brackets specific to carb/EFI manufacturers.
Their kick down cables work great to and save the headache of making/figuring out kick down linkages.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I run the stock type cable. Moved the hole on the firewall by cutting it out and welding it back in about an inch higher and to the right.
That required moving the throttle pedal the same amount. Problem with that was the pedal was up too high. Solution was to replace the short pedal (just the pad, not entire assy)with one from an early '70's B-body. Those are longer below the pivot point.

20230620_082430.jpg

20230620_082330.jpg

Last edited:

volare 1977

Reaction score
Maybe it is just a crappy replacement cable. Originals tend to last a long time. Maybe find a NOS one and save yourself the trouble of trying to change everything up.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Its one of those mr. gasket universal cables setups. The cable is built like a parking brake cable with the coiled sleeve on the inside and a wire mesh outer. I bought a stock replacement one and it was no better or worse than the mr. gasket part.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
My other question is, what is stock length for a throttle cable for a 4bbl car? Ive seen so many different sizes its ridiculous.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Was the car oriiginally a 4 bbl.? Rock auto shows cables about 20 inches. The mopar part numbers shown are 4027355 and 4306179

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There's a difference in length between 2bbl and 4bbl but I've never had to change cables going 4bbl.

volare 1977

Reaction score
2 bbl cable is different from the 4bbl cable but many times the 2 bbl can be made to work. The kick down linkage is many times the bigger issue. Bud may have covered it back in some older posts. You maybe can do a search.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Throttle bracket and top linkage rod is different for 4bbl kickdown. Or use Lokar cable setup.

Back