Time To Whip It Out!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I am thinking a really good multi-stage wax job could bring around Lady V's car quite nicely.

I've tried that but unfortunately the actual finish is gone from that paint. You literally take pigment off when you wipe it. But it's going to get fresh paint this year.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My old '81 D150 was like that. Flat red and no amount of buffing would change it. Only place that shined was a spot where I got too brave and went to primer, which shined up nicely, lol. Funny as it sounds, I always went over the whole thing with WD-40 every week or so. It soaked into the paint and actually gave it some gloss. 1,001 uses! (and a really poor photo)
DSCF0020.JPG

--- Post updated ---
Got to whip it out for the first time this season. Felt good! Didn't go that far, maybe 5 or 6 miles. If I didn't have 100 other things to do yet today......................
May go back out for a short one after dark, just to see how it is to drive with the new LED dash lighting. Should be nice being able to actually see the gauges and the lettering on the switches, HVAC controls, radio and shifter for a change.

Got back with the car, shut it off and a few minutes later when I went to put it in the garage, turn the key and,,,,,,,,,,,nothing. Futzed with the shifter and the starter would engage every so often. Maybe the connector came loose at the trans? Nope, B/U lights worked fine. Grounded the wire at the 3-way connector near the right v.c. to bypass the p/n switch and it fired right up. Of course now, it cranks fine without the ground wire but am 95% sure it has to be the neutral safety switch. Only original part in the starting system. At least it happened in the driveway.
--- Post updated ---
We have a new world record. Whipped it out just after sunset and put a whole 12 miles on. Before I know it, I'll do 20 miles in one shot, lol.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A new world record for miles in one outing. Drove down to the shop I work at this morning to charge my A/C back up. I had recovered the refrigerant last fall so the lines could be disconnected. It's about 12 miles each way. On the way back through Mosinee (where the shop is), on the far southern edge of the metro area, ran into a guy I hadn't seen in a while driving his '64 Polara ragtop. Ended up making a detour to his place to have a look at his '78 (or '79) Aspen wagon project and b.s. some. It's got R/T stripes, fender flares, buckets and console, etc. Was a S6 car but will be a 360/auto. That added another 5 or so miles for a grand total of about 30 miles. Dang,,,,,,,,,shouldn't be hard to beat last years total of maybe 300 for the entire season. Then again, last season it rained every other freaking day and threatened rain on the other days. If there was a show or cruise scheduled, that was a guaranteed monsoon so opportunity to take the car out was slim. This year it's looking like the opposite situation(!),,,,,,,,,,,,,,so far.

About the wagon. Another one of those cases of ALWAYS TAKE A CAMERA ALONG, and I didn't.:( Suppose, if I wasn't so behind the times, I'd have a cell phone to get photo's with but I don't have one so.........................

Aspen500

Reaction score
The plan is to take it out for a bit later this evening after the Sunday traffic lightens up. On Sunday it's usually not TOO bad after 7pm or so. On weekdays traffic lightens up,,,,,,,,,,,,,um,,,,,,,,,,,,like never:(

Aspen500

Reaction score
Taking advantage of the (lately) rare nice day, whipped the car out and made roughly an 8 mile loop. If I didn't have a million other things I need to do outside today, it would have been farther. Looking at the forecast, it may be a while before it can be whipped out again or much outside work can be done :(

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Taking advantage of the (lately) rare nice day, whipped the car out and made roughly an 8 mile loop. If I didn't have a million other things I need to do outside today, it would have been farther. Looking at the forecast, it may be a while before it can be whipped out again or much outside work can be done :(

Good to hear you got to stretch that beasts legs a little.

Aspen500

Reaction score
At last,,,,,,,,,,,got the car out again. Did about 10 miles only but some are better than none, yes?
Only cut it short because my teeth were floating. Too much Diet Dr Pepper and water today plus,,,,,,I ain't getting any younger either. You "mature" guys know what I'm talking about. Should have thought of THAT before I left! :p

Justwondering

Reaction score
Which is exactly why my house is 1/4 mile from the road and there is nothing but trees and shrubs and a creek and more trees between the house and the road.
Plenty of places to water the plants between the house and the front gate.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Which is exactly why my house is 1/4 mile from the road and there is nothing but trees and shrubs and a creek and more trees between the house and the road.
Plenty of places to water the plants between the house and the front gate.

Sounds like the ideal place! My perfect location would be where you could mow the front yard wearing nothing but a smile if you wanted to and not get arrested. In other words, quiet and private. I've a courtyard like area behind the house that's private but a long ways from quiet:(

I just didn't want to stop at a convenience store and leave my car unattended. It's one of those things....................:confused:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well I'm glad to hear you got yours out.
It's either no time or crappy weather for me.

Tomorrow might happen though. :D

Justwondering

Reaction score
Yes, here if you are so inclined (endowed) you can pee off the 2nd floor veranda and only the turtles and frogs have a watchful eye.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got brave and took the car to work today, about 25 mile round trip. The forecast said no chance of rain so..............If it had rained, afraid I may have been forced to run amok.:eek:

Back