Tires and balance

What brand tires to buy

• Total voters

lowbudget

Reaction score
Yeah it's a beater. It's got some rust issues, the vinyl top is starting to come apart, the hood is now rusty but it almost matches the paint, the drivers fender in crinkled on top. The hood and fender are due to hitting a deer. I got lucky as my friend with the Mopar salvage yard had a 77 he gave me but the drivers fender was worse than mine. The grill and hood were good though. It was the same car that I had gotten the big radiator, shroud and fan out of. The carpet is shot but I have new for it, just no time to put it in yet. I plan on putting an A body split high back bench seat in it as soon as I have time to recover it as the drivers side of the seat is shot. It's also due for a service so I will take a few days and do the tires, carpet, CD changer, service it and do the tires. I will probably put a shine on it also. You know give it a little lovin'.

$1700.00 Ouch! $1200.00 isn't bad, my neighbor told me tires for his newer Chebie was around the 2 grand mark for 4. I think I will stick with my 315 75r16's. I'm still unsure of the D or E load range. It used to be 8 ply vs 10 ply. I think I will look at my old tires and see the load range on them. I have GY studded and my wore out BFG's to go by......my back is already telling me D lol

lowbudget

Reaction score
I did the Hankooks and didn't have the weights to balance them. I took them over to Commercial tire and had them spun balanced. 0, 0, 1/4, 1/4. The guy said no charge as they really weren't unbalanced anyway and freaked out. Then I had to explain the dots to them. It's unreal that the tire guys don't know about the dots. A long story short the bubble balancer would have worked. I had hell busting the cheap Knigstar tires off the back rims even with my Handy Man and a 3/4 ton sitting on them. So my labor charge was 2 hours more than I figured, and my back is feeling my age. The beater drives so much better now!

Back