Took the ol' girl in for an e-test the other day...

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
.. I was definitely worried considering I have taken away the EGR, disabled the air pumps ability to change the air direction upstream or downstream and also converted back to electronic ignition with a junkyard 4bbl 850 Thermoquad! I think I have the air pump disabled with no vacuum, so I think its always be giving the (downstream) rear cat air flow? It takes a good amount of time to heat up and show proper readings, which is why i think this.

I have however in that same time replaced EVERY piece of the ignition system (from distributor to plugs), new rear cat and air pipe, muffler, rebuilt said junk yard carb, I also went and got some 94 octane for this tank ;) LOL! The primaries of the carb were spot on without anymore than factory settings, the idle circuit I had just a TOUCH rich but that is where the car ran the best with the vacuum gauge pinned with the highest reading of 20.5in/hg. I took it to my brothers shop after hours, so I was not on the schedule and would have only had a half hour to do the test which would mean no time for tune'n'test.. I was damn sure it wasn't gonna pass!

But the numbers don't lie, the tester said these are better numbers than most late 2000's EFI vehicles.. it has a cleaner idle than running! Saay whuut.

2015-10-12%2017.54.23_zpsnyj7qmnl.jpg

2015-10-15%2018.51.48_zpsunxqmo5m.jpg

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Wow.....I'm sure glad we don't have to go through that crap in Kansas.

Congrats on a good tune!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Wow.....I'm sure glad we don't have to go through that crap in Kansas.

Congrats on a good tune!
Same here in WI, except for the SE counties like Milwaukee, Kenosha, etc (and I live 180 miles NW from there!) and then only if it's 20 years old or less. After 20 years of age, it's exempt.

Anyhow, congrats on your pass!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Pre OBDII ( 88-95) has to be sniffed as there isnt the on board monitors for the vehicle to self emission test

I figured they must have to.
Such a bullcrap tax grab.
And this is why my newest car is an 87.
Except for the wife's car.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
.. I was definitely worried considering I have taken away the EGR, disabled the air pumps ability to change the air direction upstream or downstream and also converted back to electronic ignition with a junkyard 4bbl 850 Thermoquad! I think I have the air pump disabled with no vacuum, so I think its always be giving the (downstream) rear cat air flow? It takes a good amount of time to heat up and show proper readings, which is why i think this.

I have however in that same time replaced EVERY piece of the ignition system (from distributor to plugs), new rear cat and air pipe, muffler, rebuilt said junk yard carb, I also went and got some 94 octane for this tank ;) LOL! The primaries of the carb were spot on without anymore than factory settings, the idle circuit I had just a TOUCH rich but that is where the car ran the best with the vacuum gauge pinned with the highest reading of 20.5in/hg. I took it to my brothers shop after hours, so I was not on the schedule and would have only had a half hour to do the test which would mean no time for tune'n'test.. I was damn sure it wasn't gonna pass!

But the numbers don't lie, the tester said these are better numbers than most late 2000's EFI vehicles.. it has a cleaner idle than running! Saay whuut.

2015-10-12%2017.54.23_zpsnyj7qmnl.jpg

2015-10-15%2018.51.48_zpsunxqmo5m.jpg

Your car looks great.
Are you missing your hood ornament?

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Its in the glove-box until I figure a solid way to remount it and not loose it on a highway somewhere.. lol

Its shitty cast, and the bottom spring eye broke off.. so whoever whenever decided to notch either side and wrap a spring around it and down in to the core support.. it worked for a good while, but the car was hardly driven then.

Also, day off the e-test my accelerator pump shit the bed eh! What a whore a carburetor is without an accel shot! Gotta be JUST on the pedal properly. I have a carb kit coming in for the morning.. $56 for just needing the acclerator pump out of it.. sheeesh!

Back