torque strap

mopar guy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on torque straps for a big block j body , is there anyone that makes one ? If not , any suggestions ? I would like something a little easier on the eyes than a chain. I am not against using a chain if nothing else is available. Thank you !

72Dodge

Reaction score
Make one from some threaded rod and ends and a bent steel bracket to attach to car. Paint, done. It would look essentially like the one in the above post.

mopar guy

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses and information I will look into those sources and figure out what works best for me. Thank you !

72Dodge

Reaction score
I should have said, the best place I've found for parts to make stuff like this is Fastenal, if you have one nearby. I didn't even know I had one about 2 miles from my house until recently, and it's been a great source of small fabrication parts.

NoCar340

Reaction score
If you're going to make one using threaded rod, make sure it's a minimum of Grade 5. Standard hardware-store/Fastenal stuff is usually Grade 2 at best; anything beyond that usually requires a special order. The Grade 2 stuff will break under standard flexing of the factory motor mounts.

Side note: if you're using spool-type motor mounts, a torque strap is essentially unnecessary. Either use polyurethane inserts or just fill in the voids in a factory-style rubber insert with black silicone. Either way is plenty strong but the poly option will introduce much more engine vibration into the interior, just like a taut torque strap will. Using only one poly insert would lessen that and since the passenger's side mount is constantly under compression there's no real need to beef up that side.

Of course if you feel you really need a torque strap you must be building a pretty serious combination, so vibration and daily-driver comfort is probably not a concern anyhow.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Poly sucks, they tear and split, i kill them in one weekend at the track.......
I do have 1/2X 20 threaded rod on the ds. I will add another tq strap to the pass side or go motor plate...
Poly will work great for most applications but....

Back