tow tabs?

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Look like recovery tow tabs.
Did the 88 M's come with these? (one each side)

100_5853.jpg
100_5855.jpg

100_5853.jpg

100_5855.jpg

lowbudget

Reaction score
I noticed that my 87 has them when I redid my exhaust to 2 1/4" last days off.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Never seen them on any F's...and its pretty much the same car under the skin.
I wonder when the factory started putting them on?
This one had a trailer hitch so I wasnt sure if they could have been related. Didnt think so, but...

100_5849.jpg

100_5849.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those are actually the tie down brackets for transporting the car from the factory. They hook the chains into them on the car hauler and/or train car. Supposed to be removed during the predelivery inspection at the dealership. 26 1/2 years as a dealership tech and I removed hundreds of similar brackets (from Fords and Audi's) before I got smart and GTFO of a dealer service that is, lol!

ramenth

Reaction score
Those are actually the tie down brackets for transporting the car from the factory. They hook the chains into them on the car hauler and/or train car. Supposed to be removed during the predelivery inspection at the dealership. 26 1/2 years as a dealership tech and I removed hundreds of similar brackets (from Fords and Audi's) before I got smart and GTFO of a dealer service that is, lol!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

You beat me to the punch. I never took 'em off during the PDI, simply because I've towed too many vehicles and they're great for tying a car down on a trailer. I know, I know... as a dealership tech I was paid for the PDI, but some things just make sense to leave alone. :D

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'll admit, we left them on cars (Ford dealer 1986-2007) if they weren't visible from the outside of the car. Like most dealers, we worked on flat-rape, I mean flat-rate so you had to take every short cut you could, without compromising the job, to try and make rate so you could pay your bills.

compubert

Reaction score
Wish I had those on my wagon when I had to tow all those stuck jeeps and trucks out in the woods, had to loop over my bumper shock... :-/

Aspen500

Reaction score
They aren't really designed to be used as tow hooks. Only attached with one bolt (or nut). They're designed to have a vertical load like the tie downs on a trailer but they might have worked for towing to a point.

Back