Transmission questions

Efful

Reaction score
Hello y’all, been restoring my volare when I came into an issue where the transmission shit the bed driving it to work a couple months back, this is a 1979 Volare Coupe 318. Now I was wondering how I can find out what transmission it’s running, I’m aware of 3 transmissions in these, I’m looking for a rebuild kit and can only find 727 kits, will these work if I got a 904?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Look at the shape of the pan. It's probably a 904 variant.

There will also be a stamped number on the case right above the pan with the part number on it to find out exactly what it is.

download (5).jpeg

DCAspen

Reaction score
Check your fender tag,1st line on the bottom left…2nd code should start with the letter D followed by two numbers will be your transmission code.

Efful

Reaction score
Look at the shape of the pan. It's probably a 904 variant.

There will also be a stamped number on the case right above the pan with the part number on it to find out exactly what it is.

View attachment 50456
I just got down under the car and it definitely has the 904 shape! Thank you sir!
D31 = 904. D36 = 727
I was able to match up the pan to a 904 transmission, my code is a D32, I googled it and saw it’s heavy duty from 69-71, should I be looking elsewhere?

Back