V10 Magnum swap?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Guys, stop me from making a poor choice, tell me a 2002 V10 Magnum out of a truck won't fit, because I just got a lead on an engine, transmission, ecu, harness, etc., soup to nuts, for $650 obo wants it gone.... which means i can pay less.

Tell me it won't fit. Otherwise my wallet will be lighter.

Bongy337

Reaction score
Well, if you got someone to help you with fabricating the motor, trans mounts and hammering the tunnel, it will work. IIRC, the V10 is a 360 motor with two extra cylinders. Go for it. That $650 would be like spending for beer and barbeque for the boys. Good luck. I will look forward to see how it turnd out.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You'd have to go to electric fans to make it fit and that might be the least of it. There is a coolness to V10.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Will the transmission fit without cutting out the floor and welding in a custom floor?

Camtron

Reaction score
Oh come on now, anything can be made to fit with a little massaging, lol That’s a deal that’s how much the van I pulled my 5.9mag from cost. What trans comes with, 47RH/RE? Could probably trade the trans to someone for a 5 or 6 speed manual, lol

IMG_7502.gif

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I finally got on Facebook and I've been hunting for an engine. The algorithm recommended this:
02 v10 magnum
I don't know which transmission that is

Camtron

Reaction score
Think that’s a 47RE I believe, they changed to 48re in ‘03…drop some coin and slap some pedals and a t56 6 speed from a Viper into it.

IMG_7506.jpeg

Ele115

Reaction score
Put a 16 cylinder Detroit in it with an air starter, don't half ass this

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Just poking around on the internet and it seems a lot of people have tried this but I've yet to see one completed car

Camtron

Reaction score
I’ve read that hemi truck engines use longer front accessories and can’t be directly swapped into hemi cars without the car front accessories or something along those line. So with a known history of doing the same shit repeatedly throughout history, I wonder if it’s the same for the V10 truck and car engines.
Edit: if that is a factor, it could be the difference between a real tight fit and cutting and massaging.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
As much as id like to say go for it I cant. Ive a good bit of real world test fitting a good V10, A gen 1 forged assembly line ready to drop in crate motor/ T56 combo. And the reason the parts still sit is because there are many many many X10 better combos. Just this past month I considered using it in a sedan build but am opting for the R5P7/T56 because it makes nearly 2x the power and is a much easier fit.

Most proper V10 swaps into older mopars have the firewall cut back a couple inches, even the magnum force front end requires that.

Your truck motor is about 100lbs heavier then an equally dressed 5.9. So even if the thought of an install without a firewall mod with a radiator in front of the core support youd still have what you have now plus 2 50lbs bags of concrete on the front end.

If you have a nice car, skip it and never look back. If its a roadkill type shit box then that motor looks like a match made in heaven for a RK type car. A ragged out nearly 140k mile worked to hell iron block V10. And then after the long hard road of getting it in what do ya do when your 136k worked truck motor eats a bearing or cam or the well known head gasket/cracked head issue that your right in the prime mileage area for this.

Very true info on the front accessory setup. Also the truck V10 pan is semi deep pan and the tall box plenum could easily cause issues in that area as well.

Here are a couple pics for comparison.

RR.jpg

VV.JPG

Last edited:

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
And then after the long hard road of getting it in what do ya do when your 136k worked truck motor eats a bearing or cam or the well known head gasket/cracked head issue that your right in the prime mileage area for this.
This was enough for me to say nope! Ain't doing it, you're right, it would suck to go through all that just for the engine to eat itself and be up a creek

Duke5A

Reaction score
It would certainly turn heads at shows, but there would be absolutely not a single ounce of practicality to it. Just big block it if you're going through all that trouble.

Camtron

Reaction score
As much as id like to say go for it I cant. Ive a good bit of real world test fitting a good V10, A gen 1 forged assembly line ready to drop in crate motor/ T56 combo. And the reason the parts still sit is because there are many many many X10 better combos. Just this past month I considered using it in a sedan build but am opting for the R5P7/T56 because it makes nearly 2x the power and is a much easier fit.

Most proper V10 swaps into older mopars have the firewall cut back a couple inches, even the magnum force front end requires that.

Your truck motor is about 100lbs heavier then an equally dressed 5.9. So even if the thought of an install without a firewall mod with a radiator in front of the core support youd still have what you have now plus 2 50lbs bags of concrete on the front end.

If you have a nice car, skip it and never look back. If its a roadkill type shit box then that motor looks like a match made in heaven for a RK type car. A ragged out nearly 140k mile worked to hell iron block V10. And then after the long hard road of getting it in what do ya do when your 136k worked truck motor eats a bearing or cam or the well known head gasket/cracked head issue that your right in the prime mileage area for this.

Very true info on the front accessory setup. Also the truck V10 pan is semi deep pan and the tall box plenum could easily cause issues in that area as well.

Here are a couple pics for comparison.

View attachment 52708

View attachment 52709
…the few glimpses you give into your stock of items have been very impressive, sir.

Camtron

Reaction score
Alright don’t put it in your car…I think you need a 8 second go-kart, lol

Back