Vacuum Amplifier

Rifleshooter

Reaction score
Hi, so my vacuum amplifier recent gave out on my 80 Volare and I was wondering what the purpose of it is and weather or not it's really needed. Any info would be helpful.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Rifleshooter, are you asking about the power brake booster? Its only needed for less braking effort. You can plug the vac hoses, so you dont run the engine lean and have manual brakes. Many who've added a big block remove them for clearance. Its no problem if your alright with mechanical brakes. Just plug off the vacuum lines.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Vacuum Amplifer 2.jpg

Vacuum Amplifer.jpg

You have me wondering now. The vacuum amplifier has no moving parts inside.
How do you know yours is bad?

It is for EGR system (only). If part is not working, then EGR valve will not operate.
If you live in an emissions required state/area, then finding a replacement is not too hard.
If you don’t live in an emissions required state/area, then I say keep trucking, as is - unless there is more to the story that I don't know about.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Technically there is moving parts. A diaphragm that operates a vacuum valve. About all that can go wrong is the diaphragm starts leaking and then, of course, it doesn't work and neither does the egr valve.

There's a manifold vacuum source to the amplifier and the egr gets it's signal from a ported vacuum source on the carb, above the throttle plates. That ported vacuum signal is too weak to operate a valve but will operated the diaphragm in the amplifier so,,,,,,,,,,it goes to the amplifier which opens the outlet port to the EGR valve and sends manifold vacuum to the valve. There's also a vacuum solenoid valve in the system as well, next to the amplifier.

Like BudW said, if you don't have to have an emissions test and the engine doesn't spark knock on light acceleration it won't hurt a thing if it doesn't work.

Back