Vacuum questions

josh_mf

Reaction score
I've got a 1977 Plymouth Volare Wagon with the 225 slant six, 2BBL carb. The car has been running great, but recently, I've been having some idle problems. I started to trace the vacuum lines and notice that the line that goes to the manifold vacuum source was disconnected. Upon further inspection, it looks as if the outlet connection from the manifold source was snapped off inside the hose and the source has been plugged with a metal screw. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows the source for the piece that threads into the manifold and has the vacuum outlets, or if it would just be best to better seal that hole and connect my vacuum line to one of the other plugged outlets. I also figured it would be wise to replace all of the vacuum lines, as many of them are looking brittle and cracked. Does anyone have a list of the internal and external diameters and lengths that I will need. Or, better yet, is there a kit that includes the factory-type connections?

Finally, I'm trying my best to get the car tuned well for daily driving and as much fuel economy as I can get out of it (I'm not expecting much). Here is a list of the things that I have done since I purchased the car. I'd welcome any suggestions as to other items to replace, inspect, etc. that I've overlooked so far.

Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Belts
PCV valve
Crankcase breather valve
Carbon canister filter
Air filter
Oil change and filter
Starter relay
Starter
Fuel filter

If you've made it to the end of this lengthy post, thanks for your dedication. I look forward to hearing from people with far more experience than me with these engines.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Adjust the valves. My 77 slant will get idling a little rough and a valve adjustment usually fixes it. I need a couple new adjusters as I have a couple that loosen up on me.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
No factory kit...hopefully you still have the sticker that shows the vacuum line routing. If not I can probably find it in my book for you. Just take a couple at a time to your favorite parts store to match up the sizes.

josh_mf

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, one other quick question. Will I be able to pull off the factory multi-line rubber connectors and just run the new lines to each of the fittings individually?

josh_mf

Reaction score
Never mind on that last question. I had a chance to stop and get some new lines and got about half of them replaced before it got too dark out.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Never mind on that last question. I had a chance to stop and get some new lines and got about half of them replaced before it got too dark out.
Good for you...that's how you learn and it's also called self help. :triplets:

Back